northern lights and Big Dipper

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
chocorua.jpg

The position of the constellation and the calmness of the lake came together with a strong show of auroras. I planned and tried for a long time to get this one. It works best with a black border, especially for the reflection of the Dipper on the water. All suggestions welcome. I want to improve my ability for this type of shot, and they don't come too often. This was on Fuji 800, Canon Rebel, Sigma 28-70 @ 28mm, f/2.8, 30".

Last edited:
wow. I have never witnessed Aurora Borealis with my own eyes. I hope to see it one day. Thanks for sharing this photo.

I don't have any technical advice to add, but just wanted to say what a beautiful picture. Where did you take it?

pudgy_groundhog said:
Where did you take it?
Looks like is was taken from the beach on Lake Chocorua. The summit of Mt. Chocorua is very distinctive on the right, with Whiteface on the left.

But when was it was taken? I've been doing a midnight walk near Lake Chocurua recently. Did I miss it? It was beautifully clear last night.

Edit: Couldn't have been last night - the lake is now frozen over, and not very reflective!

Last edited:
Thanks! It was taken from the shore, just to the right of the bridge, in October of '03. Big Dipper is positioned this way in early evening in the fall, and later at night in the summer, pre-dawn in the spring. I was happy that the aurora was strongest toward the left, since the constellation dominates the right side of the sky. This is an example where I think the water and sky can share the image equally, instead of 1/3 and 2/3's of the image.

:cool: Very nice with great colors. I agree that this is a case to break the rule and go with a near even split between sky and reflection.

I like that you left the reflection slightly darker without a GND correction. Both are bright enough to record well.