Northville-Placid Trail record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
I have hiked the NPT twice – once in sections and once as a thruhike. We thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and the experience. We are now contemplating the idea of breaking a NPT record - for the longest time on the trail. I’m talking about a thruhike with re-supply, not section hikes.

OK, I’m being facetious about the record-breaking part. But I’m quite serious about wanting to spend more time on the NPT. Our thruhike was done in 11 days (out on the 12th). Our regret was that we couldn't spend more time on the trail than we had. We’d also like to take a couple of side trips while out there.

So…my question: What maximum time might you consider reasonable to spend on the trail? Conditions and time of year is a consideration. Probably it would be August and/or September. An even larger consideration is re-supply, as there are limited access points. Obviously I haven't yet thought it out in detail, but I wanted to run it by the forum.

So…doable, or a totally nutty idea?

Dick

Dick,

I do not know much about the trail but would be interested in tagging along with you and Jo if you would have me. I might not do the whole thing but I would love to spend 3 or 4 days out there :)

Dick,

Ellen and I did our through hike a few days behind you, back in 2006. We had very limited vacation, so we pushed the through hike in 8 days, which made for some long days early on.

We loved the whole length of the trip (except or the crappy maintenance, but that's another thread). We have said to ourselves often that when we are retired in a few years, one of the things we want to do is go back and through hike again, but really take our time. We were thinking of about a month, so I think we are on the same track...I can't wait to do that. We figured we would just walk to towns like Long Lake, resupply, and then walk back into the woods.

Thanks for keeping the idea fresh in my mind!

Tom

NPT slow

Rhihn--

As I recall, the NPT took me 10 days in late August with good conditions. The official time recommended from NY DEC was 19d. If you have a fishing pole and license, just leave when they stop biting. You'll be beside inviting waters everyday. It's an easy trail and very attractive. But remember, there have been fatalities, usually traceable to poor preparation and a tragic sequence of bad judgments. Just stick with the usual rules.

Walt

Rhihn--

As I recall, the NPT took me 10 days in late August with good conditions. The official time recommended from NY DEC was 19d. If you have a fishing pole and license, just leave when they stop biting. You'll be beside inviting waters everyday. It's an easy trail and very attractive. But remember, there have been fatalities, usually traceable to poor preparation and a tragic sequence of bad judgments. Just stick with the usual rules.

Walt

Thanks Walt. I am not a stranger to the trail. In my post I mentioned having hiked it once in sections, and once as a thruhike. We've also hiked several parts of it multiple times. We don't fish, but photography will be an important part of this trip, as well as side-trips. Thanks for the warning about planning. We always try to plan such trips well in advance. This one will be no exception, especially given the longer time we want to spend on it.