Northville -Placid Trail traffic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
I am planning a section hike north bound starting at Long Lake. I'd rather leave my tent. Can you tell me how busy the lean-tos are along the shore of Long Lake? Specifically, Kelly Point/Rodney Point and Plumleys. Are these lean tos generally in full use mid week in July/August.

It really depends on the weather and your luck. If there are large group, like scouts and such, it can fill up quite quickly. Midweek you shouldn't have too many issues with finding a spot but sincve that area is accessible by both trails and canoes, you might find yourself squeezed tight. I would carry a light tarp as a minimal emergency shelter.

Have fun, that area is wonderful.

sli74

It's not much farther to get in to the Cold river lean tos. They are much nicer, more remote, and will most definitely be empty mid week. You may have plenty of company along long lake, and the views across the lake are of houses, camps, and lots of boaters. Cold river will be more of a wilderness setting, and lean to #4 is a beautiful spot with rambling water for background music.

Ditto on Sli and Hillman. I haven't spent a peaceful night at Long Lake except for Catlin Bay, because The Plumleys L/T's always seem to have Scouts or boaters there, so I move on. Another time, some guys were shooting a shotgun at Kelleys Point, so I moved on.

While the closest Cold River L/T's are only about 4 Miles from Plumleys, I did find an small outboard motor leaning against one of the Lean-to's about 15 years ago. Later that evening I found out that some guys motored their rowboat to Plumleys and chained it to a tree and backpacked the outboard motor to CR L/T's so it wouldn't be stolen....

Also, Shattuck's Clearing is a wonderful and slightly closer spot to camp, but with such beautiful L/T's only 1/2 mile away, it is hard to deprive oneself of the sun coming up over the Cold River and lighting up your lean-to in mid-late summer.
But definitely, I would at least bring a tarpand some netting.

Leantos on Long Lake

I would not count on them being available- even mid-week. It is a popular and easily accessible lake.

Besides- the biting insects can be quite bad- :eek: bring a tent.

rhihn said:
What are the tenting possibilities in this section?

Dick, there are many good places to tent at Shattuck Clearing. I don't recall seeing any "official" tent sites but there seems to be several open areas where people tent near the lean-tos at Rodney, Kelly and Plumleys. Both Kelly point and Plumley are open park like areas which seems to have plenty of room for tents. Over time I helped rehab the Cold River lean-tos the one near the bridge often had horsemen in there and there was room to tent along the road south of that lean-to. There were ( are ) ? hitching posts for horses near that site. The actual lean-to area is quite tight near the bridge. The one a short distance north on the bluff overlooking the river is a gem but again for tents a tight squeeze, unless something has been developed in the last few years. At Miller Falls another fine l-t but again I don't recall seeing much room for tents.

Many moons ago when the old truck road bridge was in at Shattuck where the Calkins Creek Road enters, the N-P crossed there and followed an old road on the west bank of the Cold River joining the present trail at the newer suspension bridge at the lean-to. That road is still there and you can follow it south from the lean-to back to Shattuck. There are a few wet, low areas along that route but several tenting possibilities exists. Using that section of road allows a great trip from Coreys to N-P before Duck Hole, south on the N-P to Shattuck and out via Calkins. There are a few nice lean-tos along that Calkins Road, but none at Latham Pond.

We tented once near the old ranger station at Shattuck, there are lots of grassy places nice for a tent. Great views of the Sewards and the River. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Growing up in Long Lake all I can tell you is it's busy during the summer. Hillman is right-try the Cold River Leantos you'll have better luck there. I also agree with Seema-bring a light tarp for cover just in case.

I section-hiked Long Lake to Lake Placid mid-week a few years ago in August. I carried a tent but never saw anyone else in the shelters on that stretch. Or, for that matter, in a tent. I got started late in the day so stayed at Long Lake. No one there either. You never know.