Norwalk Islands, CT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Thinking of heading out here with a friend to paddle the Norwalk Islands, out to the islands for a lunch and paddle and back. Through ConnYak's website, launching in Westport on the Saugatuck sounds like a nice start. How much boat traffic is there and I would assume there would be marked channels for the boats and stuff. I don't have a NOAA chart yet, figure it looks like it would be a popular summer boating destination anyway.

Thinking of going out and following an atlantic kayak tour itinerary below:

---
Starting in Westport, we head out the Saugatuck River to the Long Island Sound and cross over to Cockenoe Island. Our next stop is Chimons Island, which is where we stop for lunch. We can paddle around some of the other islands in the area, possibly around Shefield to get a glimpse of the lighthouse. On our return trip we head into Bermuda Lagoon before heading back up the Saugatuck River.
---

Jay

Welcome to the neighborhood :)

The Norwalk islands and Cockenoe are a great paddle! My girl was possibly heading to the Westport boat launch today and possibly paddling upriver...

Most people heading for the Norwalk Islands launch out of Calf Pasture beach ($15 day fee), which is a more direct way to the islands. But leaving out of the Saugatuck boat launch under the highway bridge is free and will give a longer paddle - so good choice :)

Not too much traffic on the Saugatuck and the channels are marked - you'll see that there are some very shallow parts where the river widens and turns left - channel has to go way out to the right while we could kayak right across the middle.
It is also very shallow (and therefore boat free) between Seymour Point and the Western tip of Cockenoe. During low tide one could basically walk to Cockenoe!
There is more boat traffic coming out of Norwalk Harbor and the Norwalk Islands area... but I never felt in danger of collisions.

I haven't done the full tour but have done Cockenoe and Norwalk Islands separate (fyi you can camp on Cockenoe , Grassy, and Shea).

BTW, where is Bermuda Lagoon?

Check the link below for a map/guide of the Norwalk Islands (you can see the tip of Cockenoe on the top right):
http://www.swrpa.org/pdf_files/canoeguidewebversion.pdf

Have a good time!

Last edited:
RE: Bermuda Lagoon...

Have no idea, it's on the Atlantic Kayak Tours website (http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/pages/tours/Intermediate.shtml)
which I cut and paste the above. Thanks for the boat launch info, free is good!

I don't know what timeframe, might be July sometime as a day trip...

going to check out your link now...

[edit] I googled Bermuda Lagoon and it is a lagoon just to the west of the mouth of the Saugatuck River and the LI Sound..

http://www.city-data.com/city/Westport-Connecticut.html

If you look at the above and scroll down (or better yet, just find "bermuda" and then click on the map to display the symbold, Bermuda Lagoon is shown as "D".

Yup, I know you can get a permit from the town of Norwalk to camp, but I think my friend is not really a camper and it's not far away from us (about a 1.5 hour drive).

Jay

Last edited:
Jay H said:
[edit] I googled Bermuda Lagoon and it is a lagoon just to the west of the mouth of the Saugatuck River and the LI Sound..
Ok, cool - I see it on Google map. I'll have to check that out next time I'm there.

Keep us updated :)

So, is that a hint? :)

I don't have a date, it's kind of hinged on if my friend's back is good. If not, I'm willing to meet ya at the launchsite...

From this website link:
http://www.connyak.org/Public Affairs/Launch_Sites_HTML.html

Westport

Norwalk Islands
(Saugatuck River)

Boat ramp in under the I-95 bridge on the Saugatuck River in Westport

Directions - From the North: I-95 South to Exit 18. Stay right on ramp. Turn left at second light, Greens Farms Road. Go through two stop signs. Turn left at first light, Rte 136. Go under thruway and take first right. Boat ramp is past the sewage treatment plant.

Directions - From the South: I-95 North to Exit 17. Straight at end of ramp. Through two stop lights. Turn left at stop light. Turn right at first light - Bridge St. Turn right at next light - Rte 136. Go under thruway and take first right. Boat ramp is past the sewage treatment plant.

Does that sound familiar?

Any other VfTT paddlers interested in a July day trip?

Jay

Lol... :)
My schedule is always up in the air, but if you guys are around and don't mind company I have myself and other paddling buddies who might be interested on a jaunt.

And yeah, those directions sound right.