Norway starts debate on charging skiers for rescue costs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Looks like the westerlies have carried the virus across the Atlantic. A Norwegian police chief who's in charge of rescues over the northern half of the country wants to start charging skiers some part of the cost for rescues. There have been several avalanche accidents this winter, including one involving eight French tourists last week. They had no local guide and ignored warnings about great avalanche danger.

Some of you will recognize these questions from a member of Parliament:

"Who will decide whether there's been negligence? Another dilemma is the ethical. I believe we all think that people should be rescued regardless. If you drive while drunk or in another way expose yourself or others to risk while driving, there's no one who asks whether you should be rescued when an accident happens. We have a good heart in this country that way. In many areas in society, you and I are held responsible, either through regulations or insurance schemes. We have deductibles at health services, and if you want to go hunting you have to take a hunting test. Why should people who engage in risky sports do whatever the hell they want? There's no easy answer here, but I am very happy to join the debate."

Mener uvettige skiturister bør betale for å bli reddet ut av skred