New F&G Brainstorm - Charge EVERYBODY.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one is not interested in fishing, this is rescue insurance plus money extorted for some other purpose that is not of interest to the buyer.

Doug

If one is a hunter and angler who buys licenses annually, the use of license fees to rescue non-hunters and non-anglers (including folks with fractures lying alongside ski trails) is taxation for some other purpose that may or may not be of interest to the buyer.

BTW, a chunk of the license fees (and a federal excise tax on firearms and archery equipment) goes for habitat acquisition, restoration and management. Non-hunters/anglers gain direct personal benefits from this, as it provides them opportunities to see and photograph moose, deer, bears, notable birds, endangered reptiles and amphibians, etc.

Last edited:
So I'm taxed without representation? Who's speaking up for the out of staters in Concord? I pay Federal taxes & it's a National Forest, & I buy a parking Pass. I buy products sold and made in NH when I come up to NH already.

So this weekend: Tolls in NH, gas Friday & Sunday, lodging Friday Night at White Mountain Hostel, breakfast in North Conway, items in Walmart & LL Bean, paid $37 to drive up the auto road, myself & two young boys, why I pay per person for a car seems silly, I should get a discount as I am transporting more people, that will buy more food & gifts at the state park at the top, which we spent money on, lodging at Carter Notch Hut (okay they are listed as a non-profit but their staff spends a part of their wages in town on off days) dinner in Concord. So I'm supposed to pay a higher rescue fee because I live out of state & can't get Represetative X canned come November?

What I can do is hike & spend elsewhere & see how an economy that needs tourism dollars fares. In VT, (less traffic) ME, (no place else looks like Katahdin & lobster rolls even at McD's), NY where I have either the Catskills or ADK's to hike in plus Gunks & Hihlands, or MA & CT which while less spectacular is easier to get too. NH is a blend of all these though. (& we all know how far BSP is from population centers) If it wasn't for out of state tourists, would there be two business that transport only NH residents up Mount Washington. While we can debate on how much prettier North Conway might be without all those outlets, they generate jobs, just no sales tax.

When I come to NH, I spend more than the locals do on my day or two in state, why am I penalized more?

Where do I go to get a say on how F&G spends their money? I learned over the weekend, they stock Upper Carter Lake with trout they airlift there :eek::eek: Who's fishing there? I've never seen anyone fishing there or anyone enforcing laws. (& I've been a few times past the lakes & don't recall anyone from F&G walking the 3.5 miles either to check limits or licences) Is this the F&G equivalent to the bridge to no where?

Is a hiker also any of the dozens of tourist I saw who walk from their cars & wade in the Pemi above the Basin or visit Glen Ellis Falls? Anyone ever rescued from these places? Must be a reason they have fences + signs that say do not go pass the fence....

How do you differentiate an accident that results in a broken leg suffered by two hikers, by home address, by their footwear choices or whether they had a headlamp although it was not a factor in a 10:00 AM rescue, the one with had gear?

As cold hearted as it sounds, if your a parent of a child with special needs, how far away should they be away from you in the first place? (or adult with special needs) My 9 year old who's racking up a fair amount of hiking miles in several states is doing a pretty good job navigating & decision making. (needs to scratch less in the soil & live a little more LNT while hiking) On the trails, I prefer he's not more than 100 yards or so ahead of me depending on terrain & even less behind me. (As we got closer to Pulpit Rock, I wanted both boys visible)

You want to charge me insurance to hike in the USFS, I'm okay with that. But as it's USFS, I shouldn't pay more or less than anyone else. Rescue cost should also be based on needs & reasons not income.

I'll rant another time (or I have) on the topic of how the well-to-do promoted hiking & exploring the mountains. (Ball, Bourne, most of Ethan Crawford's guests had free time to visit when most people barely fed their families)

Last edited:
re: So I'm taxed without representation?

I know what you mean. I used to live in NH and work in MA! I paid a premium in local property taxes, but couldn't claim them as offsets against the income taxes paid to MA, so I was not only paying taxes in MA without representation, but also being double-taxed.

Sorry, no sympathy here.

NH has had a long history of targeting non-residents for state revenue when they could, and they even spend advertising money to get more here. That said, I also think that it's a shame that the state doesn't care to "take care" of the tourists that they lull into our lush mountain greenery.

NH doesn't have a problem paying for lifeguards at the state's beaches, and they don't charge for rescues there, even when people were unprepared, or when they go into rip-surf even when there are high surf warnings in effect. People may have to pay EMS fees, but that would be expected in the case where a rescued person in the mountains needed additional medical assistance after being rescued from the woods.

Sure, there's a difference in the costs of lifeguard rescues vs. mountain rescues, but the concept should be the same.

Sounds like a slip & fall, it happens, on Sunday, each boy I was with fell at least once & I managed to lose my balance & fall landing squarely on my pride. (okay it was my hip & pack)

Any rescue fee or insurance should be based on exposure, not on where you live.

Fascinating how the loards of the boards at the Union Leader aren't screaming for the kid to break open his piggy bank....

Proof positive that the "Wander Safe" program needs an overhaul. Mandatory zipper locks would be a good start.

I'd give you a greenie if I could. :)

Maybe everyone under the age of 3 should be required to carry a baby monitor with them at all times?

I cannot begin to imagine how frightened his parents were.
Another job well done by the rescuers.

This fits into my post very nicely. Everything in not black and white. It's my gut feeling that there will be incidences when lost hikers will not be charged.

Last edited:
"Waddle Safe" that is good!

It is ironic that often in areas of high tourism, the local and state governments seek to fund the associated costs from the same source as all the revenues.