Not in my back yard? Snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
This could be a thread about my back yard, and even though there are still patches of snow, it is almost gone.

This could be a thread for ski areas that try to remind people there’s snow on the slopes.

But this is a thread for those planning to hike and forget that it’s still very much winter in the mountains.
Rescuers want people to know that too.
I see it myself all too often. People come up from Mass, etc., or southern NH dressed for and planning a nice spring hike. Snow? Where did that come from? Ice? Wow! But they continue on (because they drove all that way to hike) trying to pick their way up the mountain (traction? what’s that?) and never stop to think that if is difficult to ascend it will be even more difficult to descend (we’ll just slide down on our butts). They don’t consider that their jeans will absorb the wet snow like a sponge, and the icy winds on top will freeze them. The windbreaker or sweatshirt isn’t much help. Step off the trail and the snow will no longer hold you, and the branches along the side are all broken from those gone before reaching for something to hold on. They started out later, because the days are longer after all, but they’re not moving as fast as they thought and the trail is longer than they thought and now they have to get back to their car. Most do. But it wasn’t the hike they were expecting.

I agree with you Carole. I’m thinking of doing an overnight the weekend of May 2nd and trying to decide what to do. I was thinking of doing a two day Pemi Loop, going in via Osseo and out Franconia Brook Trail, yet what will the snow condition be like given that area was not heavily trafficked this winter. Will it be a big sloppy mess and not worth the effort?

A big mistake I made a couple years ago on Cinco De Mayo (That's May 5th for all you gringos out there) was hiking Mt. Washington and Monroe without bringing snowshoes with us.

We went up the Ammo without snowshoes and had no difficulties barebooting up the hard-packed snow and bare rocks. We bagged Monroe, went over to Washington, and then on the way back down we decided to take the Jewell trail... This is where we ran into some problems.

3.7 miles can take MUCH longer than expected when you are post-holing knee-deep or deeper almost every step. And MUCH longer it did take. It gave us some small comfort to know that we were not the only ones to have suffered through this, although I doubt the moose whose tracks we were following had much choice.

Lesson learned: When hiking in the 4k's in the "spring" - at least bring the snowshoes in the car... and it's probably an even better idea to bring them with you on the hike as well!

NHF&G Press Release

For those not accustomed to hiking the Whites in spring conditions,
here is the entire press release from the NHF&G:

Lt. Todd Bogardus, NHFG, (603) 271-3361
Rebecca Oreskes,WMNF, (603) 528-8721
April 8, 2009

Fish and Game: Winter Conditions Prevail in the Mountains -- Hike Safe this Spring

CONCORD, N.H. -- With the arrival of mid-April, many outdoor enthusiasts are thinking that winter is over, and surely spring is finally here. While that may be the case in some locations, hikers, climbers, and skiers should be aware that winter conditions can linger well into May in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. With sometimes- challenging backcountry conditions in mind, the NH Outdoor Council and outdoors authorities are advising Granite State residents and springtime visitors to "Hike Safe."

"New Hampshire's woods and mountains are a great place for spring recreation," notes New Hampshire Fish and Game Conservation Officer Lieutenant Todd Bogardus. "If you're involved in activities such as hiking or backcountry skiing, there are many fantastic opportunities here. But the nature of the mountain environment is that it can be a dangerous place. Visitors who are looking forward to a mountain adventure have to realize that spring is very slow in coming, and winter conditions will persist here long after springtime appears further south, and at lower elevations." According to Bogardus, the lingering mountain snowpack, plus the usual cool spring weather, mean that hikers and others need to take special precautions to enjoy their adventures safely.

"Hikers should expect to find deep snows that make traveling and trail-finding difficult well into April - perhaps even into early May," says Bogardus, "and that means bringing along snowshoes for springtime hikes." He also advises that as conditions cause ice or icy snow on trails, crampons (ice spikes, strapped to sturdy boots) or similar equipment will be needed for safe footing. "In planning your trip, hikers should anticipate that extra time will be needed to find snow-covered paths and negotiate snowy and icy trails," he adds.

While snow levels will eventually diminish, making high-country travel a bit easier, that process will result in another spring hazard: challenging stream crossings. "Many backcountry river crossings are not bridged, and require care to cross safely even with low water levels," warns Bogardus. "With the extra water of snowmelt, plus more water from time to time due to spring rains, some stream crossings may be very difficult or even impossible to negotiate safely. Hikers definitely need to be ready to change their plans if such obstacles present themselves."

Another prominent hazard is that mountain weather in springtime is often much more severe than most people expect. High in the White Mountains, temperatures can get below zero even in May, winds are often strong and chilling, visibility can be very poor in low clouds, and snow can fall at any time. Dressing in layers (to suit varying conditions), and including warm clothing and raingear, are recommended.

Some locations in the White Mountains have added hazards. "Avalanche conditions can exist on Mount Washington well into spring," says Rebecca Oreskes, of the White Mountain National Forest. "Similar hazards can be encountered in other areas, especially those with steep, open slopes. All backcountry hikers, climbers, and skiers should be aware of avalanche danger and other hazards, such as falling ice and "undermined" areas, where there may be thin and weak snow cover over frigid streams." Oreskes notes that any climber venturing onto steep snow slopes also has to have appropriate equipment, such as an ice ax, and must be skilled in climbing techniques such as "self arrest."

Guidelines for safe hiking are set out in the principles of "hikeSafe," a joint initiative of the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department and the White Mountain National Forest to promote safe and responsible hiking. The hikeSafe "Hiker Responsibility Code" sums up the basic tenets of backcountry safety:

1) Be prepared with appropriate knowledge and gear;
2) Let someone else know your plans;
3) Hiking groups should stay together, and not let themselves become separated;
4) Hikers should always be ready to turn back if circumstances, such as changing weather, dictate;
5) Hikers should be ready for emergencies, and, ideally, be set to effect "self rescue"; and
6) Those who know the code should share its lessons with others.

"In spite of the challenges, most springtime visitors to our state's forests and mountains have great experiences," says Bogardus, "and there's a better chance of having a memorable and satisfying trip if hikers follow the hikeSafe principles."

For more information about the hikeSafe program, visit www.hikesafe.com and the NH Outdoor Council at www.nhoutdoorcouncil.org.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department works in partnership with the public to conserve, manage and protect the state's fish, wildlife and marine resources and their habitats. Visit www.WildNH.com.

- ###

A big mistake I made a couple years ago on Cinco De Mayo (That's May 5th for all you gringos out there) was hiking Mt. Washington and Monroe without bringing snowshoes with us.

We went up the Ammo without snowshoes and had no difficulties barebooting up the hard-packed snow and bare rocks. We bagged Monroe, went over to Washington, and then on the way back down we decided to take the Jewell trail... This is where we ran into some problems.

3.7 miles can take MUCH longer than expected when you are post-holing knee-deep or deeper almost every step. And MUCH longer it did take. It gave us some small comfort to know that we were not the only ones to have suffered through this, although I doubt the moose whose tracks we were following had much choice.

Lesson learned: When hiking in the 4k's in the "spring" - at least bring the snowshoes in the car... and it's probably an even better idea to bring them with you on the hike as well!

How about carrying the snowshoes but then being too stubborn to put them on when they're obviously needed? I did a Jefferson & Washington hike on May 6, 2007. Up Jewell, down Ammo. We hiked at least 1 mile - possibly much more - down the Ammo trail while postholing up to our hips, but were so tired that we resisted putting on the snowshoes. Finally it got too much and we wised up and put them on, after using up almost all our remaining energy. Did almost the same about a year later going up Mt. Crawford with Getawaygirl. Hiked almost all the way on the monorail with our snowshoes strapped to our packs, postholing every few minutes. On the way down we put them on and wondered why we were too dumb to use them on the way up. :rolleyes: We might have made it to our intended destination of Stairs Mtn. that way....

Now I just put them on at the first sign of snow when I'm doing spring hiking.