Not that I'm an expert...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Mike your no expert but you are a heck of a nice guy. It does seem odd to be talking about Tornadoes in New Hampshire; but what about all the other WILD WEATHER!

Could happen--there was one in Worcester in 1953 or 56, I forget which. Half destroyed Assumption College.

Tornado Destroys Headline

It must have dropped the 'e' into the word "Confirms" in the headline for the article!

There are a few a year...

I believe one hit near Meredith last year, perhaps the year prior...but definately recently!

Its happened on lake winni before. I have seen it and experienced it when I was a kid. When storms come down from the mountains they can sometimes have enough rotation to get something going. Combine it with relativly flat land near the water you can water spouts and sometimes they can come on land adn sometimes F1 and F2 tornados are not all that uncommon. Check out the link below and info below.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/emergservices/bem/NaturalHazards/index.html

TORNADOS and SEVERE WINDS

Roughly two tornadoes are reported in New Hampshire a year. Most of these are of an intensity of F1 or 2 and cause localized damage. But, as with most other natural hazards, we have and will experience large events. The largest reported tornado to strike the state occurred on September 1821. This tornado, estimated at F4, had a path half a mile wide, killed 6, injured hundreds and left thousands homeless.

The southwestern portion of the state is considered a special wind hazard area as demonstrated by the high proportion of tornadoes and severe wind events that are experienced there annually. On July 3, 1997 several tornadoes struck this section of the state. An F1 tornado caused severe tree loss in Swanzey, destroying a building and damaged the stables at the Cheshire Fairgrounds. At the same time a F2 tornado struck Greenfield causing damage to a summer camp, the recycling center and completely destroying a lumber facility. Fortunately, no deaths resulted from these events.

Worcester gets more than their fair share, Monterey MA where the AT crosses Route 23 had one around 1980 & it's pretty hilly & cool there. I would think the Lakes or south of there would be prime for it, nice & realitively flat & not too far from a an area that makes weather unpredictable, not that their real good with predicting it....

I wasn't surprised that this occurred. The low upper level low keeps sending fronts our way and this one had a lot of instability with it. To make matters worse, after our rain showers of early afternoon in southeastern NH, the sun came out and it was totally clear for about an hour...not one cloud in the sky. This destabilized the atmosphere further and the storms blew up when they reached the Merrimack Valley. I looked up and saw some rotation in the clouds and figured that at least a funnel cloud might be sighted somewhere east of us, and sure enough a tornado formed. Thankfully it was weak and caused little damage. As for the people who got tossed around, it makes for a good story to tell the grandkids!

Now that this crazy weather is behind us, lets all pray for 80 degree weather so Memorial Day weekend can be spent outdoors and on the trails.

grouseking

A mini-tornado, known as a microburst, isn't that uncommon in NH's Whites. Am not a meteorologist, so I don't know if a microburst is technically a tornado. In any case - a good example of the destructiveness of a microburst is the area just above Galehead hut on the way to the summit. If you make a left and head down the Frost trail you can see its effects. 5 or 6 years ago, right after it happened, the swirl pattern from the downed trees was rather obvious. What a mess that was.

Hurricane Floyd, in the ADK's, spawned some as well. IIRC, from the summit of Blake you can see where one of them skipped down a ridge, cutting quite a swath.

Yep, we definately have our fair share of weird weather around these parts....the old saying goes, "if you don't like the weather now, wait, it'll change in five minutes"....something like that. :)

Just when we think we're all safe and sound up here in what my friends refers to "Camelot"...meaning we're pretty safe from hurricanes and such. Think about it, we may get some harsh weather, but.....usually not as bad as others get hit. The cold Atlantic Ocean usually sucks the storms out to sea.

I almost got slammed by one in New York several years ago. I was driving down the road near my house and the car was rocked by sideways winds. An hour later when I drove past the same spot, there was a large path of destruction! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mad Townie said:
Could happen--there was one in Worcester in 1953 or 56, I forget which. Half destroyed Assumption College.

I heard quite a bit about the Worcester tornado from my great aunt who lived there for many years.

Kevin Rooney said:
5 or 6 years ago, right after it happened, the swirl pattern from the downed trees was rather obvious. What a mess that was.

QUOTE]

Were the trees really in a swirl pattern? If so, the damage could have possibly been produced by a very weak tornado that briefly touched down. Since tornadoes like flat ground, it wouldn't have stayed on the ground for long. Straight line wind damage from microbursts tends to cause damage literally in a straight line, with all trees falling in the same direction, I believe.

This is quite interesting.

grouseking

Great Barrington MA had one not long ago, as did the Spencer/Sutton/Oxford area in MA in 1998. I was in the vicinity for that one working a concrete pour on Hodges Village Dam and it was not fun. We had no way of knowing what was coming until I got a call from my soon-to-be wife telling me we were all in deep s**t and to head for cover. We never saw the actual funnel cloud (it lifted off before reaching our location), but it was some of the scariest weather I've ever been in.

I've also waited out a microbust in my mom's minivan in a grocery store parking lot. The wind was so voilent we thought for sure it was a tornado, and it was enough to level a church steeple (killing one poor lady) and another manufacturing building in town. Scary stuff.

I was driving home Sun evening, sometime around 6pm on Rt 13 through Concord/Bow/Dunbarton and saw a very localized patch of dark clouds with a semi-conical portion of it dipping down very low. Not a tornado when I saw it, but it may have come really close to being one.

We got a bit of hail in the area (didn't see it fall personally, but there was a bunch of it on the ground when I got home), and a period of brief heavy rain with strong thunder & lightning.

A few years ago a dust-devil hit Lebanon, ME. It ripped a roof off a store and pretty much destroyed the place.

Back in July '97 there was a small tornado at the Cheshire fair grounds, tore up the cattle barns and the ice arena pretty good.

The Emerald City

"Other colors occur naturally in clouds. Bluish-grey is the result of light scattering within the cloud. In the visible spectrum, blue and green are at the short end of light's visible wavelengths, while red and yellow are at the long end. The short rays are more easily scattered by water droplets, and the long rays are more likely to be absorbed. The bluish color is evidence that such scattering is being produced by rain-sized droplets in the cloud.

A more ominous color is the one seen frequently by severe weather observers. A greenish tinge to a cloud is produced when sunlight is scattered by ice. A cumulonimbus cloud which shows green is a pretty sure sign of imminent heavy rain, hail, strong winds and possible tornados."

I've seen the emerald green of a tornado cloud, I'm pretty sure this is the reason Oz lived in The Emerald City, the association with tornados. So watch cloud color, if you see green, seek shelter immediately.