NY Route 23A reopens in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Schaefer

Reaction score
Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue L
Route 23A has finally reopened in the Kaaterskill Clove (Palenville to Haines Falls). The road had been closed since June 29 due to a collapsed retaining wall near the popular Kaaterskill Falls trailhead. This popular winter driving route to the North Lake State Park, Hunter Mt, and the Devil's Path mountains is once again available. A local newspaper article on the reopening is here.

The sign about the SR214 detour on the NYS Thruway northbound is gone...

They're still working on the bridge west of Olivebridge/Winchell Corners....

Jay

Thanks Mark. Too bad I didn't have computer access the last couple of days. Had I known about the repopening I could have saved some time today. Coming back from Albany I took 23 all the way out to Prattsville and then headed down to West Kill via Lexington.

I believe they're starting to make snow up at Hunter, so this isn't a moment too soon.

Matt

Matt, yup, making snow at the summit. While on the viewpoint on Plateau, I ran into a couple relaxing there and we pointed out that the top of the ski resort which you can see had snow on the trail. And then we pointed out that the firetower looks like it's leaning to the left. :) Except that the slope of the land drops off on the right of the tower so the illusion of the left leaning firetower is there....

When Guinness and I did Whiteface, there was snow on the upper slopes of the ski run but it was very patchy... and then there was natural snow towards the true summit of Whiteface anyway...

Jay