On knees, boots, poles, and chiropractic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm relaying the following experience in hopes that someone else may likewise benefit from it.

In May of this year ('06) I started seriously hiking again. I went with my old Vasque boots, which had mileage on them, but were still quite serviceable. Like so many other folks, I found the descents were really hard on my knees. After the Three Bonds In A Day (Lincoln Woods) excursion (which, coincidentally, was not steep enough to bother my knees) on August 31, I realized the outside of my boot heels was completely worn away.

I bought some new LL Bean Crestas (fantastic sale price of $83 over Labor Day weekend) and during the process of breaking them in I wore them every day to work. This caused knee pain while cycling -- the boots being the only thing that could account for this. I figured it was still the break in period, and the pain wasn't too bad, so I just kept on going.

At the same time, I decided to try out some trekking poles, which I found allowed me greater balance, and improved both the ascending and descending speed. I took the new poles and boots for a short spin up and down the Raymond Trail (3.2 miles RT) on Pack Monadnock, but at the end, my knees were as tender as they were after Dicey Mills (Whiteface-Passaconaway loop).

For 15 years now I have been seeing a chiropractor for back problems caused by a car accident (but only 3-4 times per year now for the last 10 years.) I actually trust this guy a lot, and I called him for advice, and possibly a podiatrist recommendation. He told me to come on in and he'd check out the alignment of my knees and ankles. Sure enough, the ankles were not properly aligned, and he cracked them back where they belong. He also recommended I try the Super Feet insoles from my old boots as they provide way better support then the OEM insoles.

The following Sunday, I took the Wapack trail (new boots and poles along for the ride, plus a brand-new set of Super Feet) up North Pack Monadnock and around the Cliffs trail with no pain in my knees at all.

Since it looked good, I decided to hike Lincoln and Lafayette with them, putting in about 9 miles and 3900'. I'm thrilled that I had no knee pain at all at the end of the trip, and I feel much less fatigued today then I usually do after a steeper hike with lots of rock landings on the downhill stretch. I also descended faster than one of my regular companions, who goes down much faster then he goes up, and usually leaves me way behind on the downhills. I passed a man on Old Bridle Path who was scooting down on his behind because his knees were killing him. He said he just needed rest. I told him to check out poles, make sure his boots were good, and look up a good chiropractor

So, I hope this is helpful for someone else down the road.

Tim

Neil will love this post! :D

Seriously, I too have benefited from chiropractic. I don't go regularly, but maybe 6-8 times a year, when I feel my body is acting up. Works for me!

I've never been to or needed a chiropracter but am a strong believer that the feet, knees, hips and back all depend on one another and a problem in one can manifest itself in one of the other locations as quietly and quickly as at the location of the problem. The reason is that an injury, sprain or other problem will cause an adjustment in gait, foot placement etc. that can show up because it places a different strain somewhere else where the joints and related muscles aren't prepared. This is especially so because many of our hikes generally cover a long distance, likely over broken terrain, often carrying additional weight, and done in spurts that differ from our normal demands on our bodies.

My personal physical management plan includes 1) getting professional advice when a problem begins, that's when it is easiest to proactively avert a more complicated or lengthy treastment, and 2) not skimping on equipment, especially boots. For my needs I get boots with good ankle support, adequate tread for good traction and even foot placement, and strong shanks. Shanks will break down over time but they're important to the bottom of your feet.

Another vote for chiro's here.

Can't possibly imagine hiking w/o trekking poles, either- in addition to the benefits mentioned above, it makes stream crossings a lot easier, and lets your upper body in on the fun instead of having your legs do all the work.

I use the superfeet insoles in my llbean cresta boots. I love the boots and the superfeet have made them even more comfortable on long hikes. I have used trekking poles for several years to take the stress off of my knees. My knees get tired but no pain.

Woody