Post-knee replacement hiking ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, just a quick note to say thanks for sharing all of this personal (and invaluable) information. I too am starting this journey. Last summer started feeling pain on the inside of my right knee doing any significant walking. Waited until recently to see anyone about it. At 62, thought maybe arthritis, but X-ray was negative on that front. Did some PT, which did not immediately help so I have had my first MRI. Getting results this Friday.

BTW, I ran into Hiker Ed last week on the Franconia Ridge, one grid post TNR and another one in progress. He did mention that heading downhill takes him longer these days and attributes it to some loss of balance from the knee replacements. Heading up hill, he is still a "machine". Then again I think the last grid and this grid attempt is post age 75 so some balance issues may be expected.

Good information. I had TKR on my right knee 8 weeks ago and ended up as one of the 3% with excessive scar tissue making if very difficult to bend or straighten my knee. I had this problem right after surgery...not sure if had something to do with how my responded or something the doctor did. Anyhow, I increased outpatient PT from two to three times a week and home exercises from three to fives a day [although I rarely met 5 times...probably 3-4 times a day].

Saw the doctor this week and I'll be undergoing a Knee Manipulation Under Anesthesia where he will force my knee to bend at 115-118 degrees to bend and break up an excessive scar tissue. Doc says with some PT, I should retain this mobility and be back on track with recovery. I'm going crazy the past 8 weeks walking with a cane and basically not really making much progress with mobility so I'm ready to go! PT has been expecting this outcome given my condition and not surprised. Anyone ever have this done? How did it turn out?

This all being said, does anyone have advice about easing back to hiking and getting back to 4,000 footers? If you had TKR, how many weeks did it take you to do an easy hike [3-5 miles with minimal elevation gain]? Weeks to do something like 52 with a view? Weeks to hike your first 4,000 footer? I know everyone is different but I can't wait to get back hiking again and looking for a safe plan to hike my first 4,000 footer again.

Thank you.

Try to not look ahead too much to 4Ks right now. Since you're having some complications your recovery may be a bit longer than most.

Break it down into small parts. Do the short half mile flat walks. Then maybe a little incline and a little more distance. Listen to the knee; it will tell you if something is too much.

The recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, but you will get there. TKRs are a major trauma to the body and take a long time to fully heal.

Try to not look ahead too much to 4Ks right now. Since you're having some complications your recovery may be a bit longer than most.

Break it down into small parts. Do the short half mile flat walks. Then maybe a little incline and a little more distance. Listen to the knee; it will tell you if something is too much.

The recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, but you will get there. TKRs are a major trauma to the body and take a long time to fully heal.
I'm one year out. Started with
2 or 3 mile flat walks around 3 months, one mile (flat) bike rides after that, increased to a bit more elevation gradually. Did a 52WAV around 6 months. Haven't done a 4k yet (Haven't had time). Planning on doing my last 12 for NE67 4k this fall. Knee is still a bit stiff but I'm still doing my exercises every day.

2 or 3 mile flat walks around 3 months, one mile (flat) bike rides after that, increased to a bit more elevation gradually. Did a 52WAV around 6 months. Haven't done a 4k yet (Haven't had time). Planning on doing my last 12 for NE67 4k this fall. Knee is still a bit stiff but I'm still doing my exercises every day.
Oh and I changed from original plan of Long Trail, to finish this list first. 75+/- miles and see how that goes before I do 270+ miles.

Thanks for sharing your journey. Since my recovery is so screwed up I'm lost regarding my own personal journey to recovery going forward so it's good to know what to expect more or less. Luckily my PT guy is working on his 4,000 footers and hikes so his advice will be helpful.

Undergoing the knee manipulation under amnesia this Friday so hoping this will be a game changer for me. In the meantime, still doing the PT exercises leading up to it.

Thanks for sharing your journey. Since my recovery is so screwed up I'm lost regarding my own personal journey to recovery going forward so it's good to know what to expect more or less. Luckily my PT guy is working on his 4,000 footers and hikes so his advice will be helpful.

Undergoing the knee manipulation under amnesia this Friday so hoping this will be a game changer for me. In the meantime, still doing the PT exercises leading up to it.
Good luck, it was nice to meet you on top of the south peak of Doubletop at BSP a couple of years ago.