Osceolas, Sept. 6, 2009 (just me)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Cut and pasted from http://trishgrid.blogspot.com
Accompanying pictures can be found there.

Mt. Osceola Trail from Tripoli Road, 8.4 miles out-and-back.

This was supposed to be a triumphant tale of my first full moon hike along Franconia Ridge. However, last night, after just half a mile into the woods alone, I had to turn back due to hearing a plethora of Very Scary Noises. One of these days I will grow me some courage and complete a solo, full moon night hike!!

After going to bed with a blanket of shame, I awoke this morning and decided to do the Osceolas. In daylight.

The path up was rockier than I remembered it to be...

...and of course there were the nice, sideways slabs...

....then, just an hour and forty minutes after I parked my car, I was on the summit. That's good time, for me.

It was a gorgeous, gorgeous day! There were views aplenty. Here are a bunch of shots from the top.

After a good half hour of lounging, I got myself up and headed over toward East Osceola.

Here's looking down the chimney...by the way, this thing is much easier to descend if you take off your pack and toss it down first (just make sure there's no one at the bottom).

I hoofed it over to the east peak in half an hour (again, great time for me). When I got to the top, there was a lovely lady finishing her 48! I took her picture and gave her a Hershey Bar. She goes by the trail name of Pokey, and I think she's about to become a new member of VFTT.

We stood around and talked for a while, then she headed out. I then took a picture of the glorious East Osceola summit cairn.

Here's another, with my foot on it.

After I'd had enough of the views, I headed back toward the main peak.

Man, is it tough getting back up those steep bits! After much huffing and puffing, I found myself catching up to Pokey very close to the main summit. We arrived at the ledges together and took a food/water break.

The morning haze had now cleared and we could see Mt. Washington in the distance.

Somehow I had missed seeing Tecumseh's ski slopes when I first arrived.

Pokey departed while I stayed a while longer, enjoying the scenery and eating another Balance Bar.

When I felt rested, I began to head down. From that point on, every ten minutes I'd pass a group of people on the way up. Must have seen at least forty people and six dogs altogether.

Among all those folks were a few familiar voices...MadRiver, Susan, and their friend were on their way up. We stopped and chatted for a bit, then we went on our separate ways.

I caught up with Pokey again close to the trailhead. We had a nice time conversing about all sorts of things -- then, before we knew it, we were there!

She graciously shared a beer with me, and we toasted her 48. She will celebrate in style with her friends in a few days.

A nice fellow by the name of Barry joined us in our parking lot beer fest. I had crossed paths with him between summits. The three of us hung out for a bit before going back to our usual lives.

Good times.

Osceolas Again

Trish,
It seems that the 2nd time around is easier; in terms of hiking mountains.

Imaginations can run wild in the dark.

Don't blame you for bailing out of the fullmoon hike; maybe a smaller mountain would bring out the courage.

No sign of the "axe man" this time?:D

Little D:)

Last edited:
Trish,

Nice report. A little solitude hiking is good for the soul......

Petch

Nice trip report. This was my first of the 48 many years ago. I still remember descending the chimney and the great views from the summit. I also remember that we parked at Waterville Valley and had to walk back but we did get to see the Greeley Ponds.

Little D, no axe man this time. :p

Petch, yes, solitary hiking is definitely good for the soul. I enjoy group hiking as well, but I've always been the kind of person who needs some alone-time to recharge.

Kurchian, I look forward to seeing Greeley Ponds sometime. Think I'll head up the other way next time so I can check them out.

BarkingCat -- funny about the pine martin. I truly need to get over this fear. I'm going to actively work on it during these next few months/years.

Trish- Nice thing about hiking in daylight is at least you can see the trail! Thumbs up for the night attempt on Franconia Ridge. We've never done it at night but maybe one of these days. . .

Also Trish-- How lucky you were to finish with Pokey (Aldea) on her 48 finish! We did part of a one day Zealand-Bonds traverse with Pokey and Peakbagger. They gave us a ride back to our car since we had originally planned on an in and out.

We knew she was finishing sometime on the Osceola's but didn't know when. Aldea, we wish we had known so we could have joined you.

If you're reading this Aldea--Congratulations on your 48 finish and welcome to VFTT (soon!)

J&J, Aldea mentioned the two of you as we were chatting. Said she had met you both and that the two of you were great. I told her I knew, as I have also had the pleasure of meeting you. :)

Thanks for the thumbs up on the night-hike attempt. Though I don't think I deserve it, as I chickened out pathetically early. :eek:

There is no shame in getting spooked by sounds you are not used to hearing. The only time I've camped out in the whites in the middle of nowhere, there were sounds galore, and then a moose walked thru the camping area, so I know how you feel!

Osceola is a great mtn, my first 4k. Great to see some pics of it again.