Osceola's via the Osceola Slide 10/13/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Reaction score
Meeting at 8:00am at the East Pond Trail head (on the Kanc.) to climb the Osceola's from the 1.6 mile long slide.

The hike begins with .8 miles of flat trail, then .8 miles of easy bushwhack, then 1.6 miles of slide which starts nearly flat and gets steeper as it goes. There will likely be one or two 40-45 degree pitches involved. At the top of the slide is a .3 mile herdpath leading to the Mt. Osceola Trail about .1 mile from the summit.

There are a couple of options for the descent:
1) Out over East Peak to the Greeley Ponds Trail head.
2) Mt. Osceola trail down to Tripoli Rd.

The Osceola Slide has about the best views of any slide I've been on and it's one of the easier slides, despite the short steep pitches, to climb. It's even been done in the rain.

Post or PM if you'd like to join the fun.

Postponed until Winter.

Last edited:
Degree of difficulty of Osceola

I'm not available on the weekend you're doing this, but I was wondering how in your opinion the steeper parts of Osceola slide compares to N. Slide and S Slide on Tripyramids which I just did within last 2 weeks. Besides the obvious that it's longer.

I climbed up the N Tri slide today; ugly, ugly, ugly (glaze of ice and graupel). Yarded on a lot of tree branches along the edge at times. I agree, most slides with northern exposures will probably be slippery from hereon into the winter.

Osceola Slide looked icy

I drove over Kanc Pass late Sunday afternoon in diminishing light. I paused at one of the turnouts that gives good views of Osceola ravines and though the light was failing I thought it looked like it was filled with white. So were the surrounding crags. Probably the rime ice etc that Dr D writes about.