Owl's Head Coordinates

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
Looking for two coordinates:

1. the waypoint along the Lincoln Brook trail that would be your hoped for destination if you bushwhacked from Franconia Falls or Black Ponnd trails.

2. the waypoint for the intersectin of the Owl's Head slide path and Lincoln Brook trail

Email us and we can provide that from our hike on Feb 11, 2006, although in Summer weather, stopping at the river crossings to cool off and skipping the Block Pond Bushwhack is what we prefer.

Kurchian said:
1. the waypoint along the Lincoln Brook trail that would be your hoped for destination if you bushwhacked from Franconia Falls or Black Ponnd trails.

Believe me that area is not pleasant at all, it will definitely be faster and easier if you stay on the marked trail, especially since the water level is not high.

Kurchian said:
2. the waypoint for the intersectin of the Owl's Head slide path and Lincoln Brook trail

There is a downed tree at the junction with like, hum, 79 rocks sitting on it. You can't miss it.

Unless you need the waypoint because you want to bushwhack from the summit back to the trail because, as it has been mentionned on another thread here, that slide is NOT SAFE :eek: ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, you can approximate stuff like the first point easily yourself using the Topozone web site. For example, given this waypoint, you can just read off the top of the page "UTM 19 292398E 4888162N (NAD27)". To enter that into your GPS, set the mode to UTM, the datum to NAD27, and enter the northing and easting for zone 19 as is appropriate for your particular GPS.

Obviously the location of the base of the slide is a bit harder to guess since neither the slide nor the "trail" is shown on the USGS maps; however, knowing it's not too far after the last crossing to the east side of Lincoln Brook you could even approximate that...

I agree with Timmus that in low-water conditions it's much faster to just set a good quick pace on the trail. I've done both that and the bushwhack and found the 'whack didn't save any time.

I really enjoyed the slide, especially to descend (I liked the Tripyramid South slide, too). It must be the skier in me, it makes "riding" the sand and gravel fun. I mean ... dangerous. Very dangerous. :eek:

Last edited:
timmus said:
There is a downed tree at the junction with like, hum, 79 rocks sitting on it. You can't miss it.

Depending on how active the rangers are on any given week, the rock pile carin could be missing. We've seen several groups miss the trail to the slide.

timmus said:
as it has been mentionned on another thread here, that slide is NOT SAFE :eek: ... :rolleyes:

Have to agree with MichaelJ on this one (hmmm - did we really say that :>). The slide is a blast - Summer and Winter!

Have a great time - as soon as Geri's ankle is up to it we'll be running out there - hopefully in another month.

If you really want to go from Black Pond, it's easy... just head generally north and bear a little west. Avoid any thick stuff or swampy crap. As long as you do that and head North for the most part, you're going to run into the trail (which runs East-West at that point). It's basically mindless bushwhacking... head north, avoid trouble. I've done the Black Pond BW a few times now and I'd rather do that than a dumb trail any day. However, 'whacking back from Lincoln Brook Trail back to Black Pond is useless and annoying (unless it's winter and you can follow your tracks) because then you have to be careful because instead of trying to hit a trail that is perpendicular to you, you now have to find a freakin pond. Don't bother. Take the trail back. Get a little wet. No big deal.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
MichaelJ said:
Just as an FYI, you can approximate stuff like the first point easily yourself using the Topozone web site. For example, given this waypoint, you can just read off the top of the page "UTM 19 292398E 4888162N (NAD27)". To enter that into your GPS, set the mode to UTM, the datum to NAD27, and enter the northing and easting for zone 19 as is appropriate for your particular GPS.
You may save time by changing the topozone page to display the same form and datum your GPS is set for, use the dropdown boxes in the left column (see example below)
Obviously the location of the base of the slide is a bit harder to guess since neither the slide nor the "trail" is shown on the USGS maps;
You need to study the map more closely, the slide is shown as a white area and following it down to the trail will give you a point within GPS accuracy
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.13777&lon=-71.61568&s=48&size=m&u=5&datum=nad83&layer=DRG

I agree with Timmus that in low-water conditions it's much faster to just set a good quick pace on the trail. I've done both that and the bushwhack and found the 'whack didn't save any time.
This may be true if you are a speed hiker or trail runner, but probably not for plodders. On my last trip out from the slide side I beat some faster hikers who stayed on the trail by following the brook out to Franconia Falls.

RoySwkr said:
You need to study the map more closely, the slide is shown as a white area

I saw that but assumed it was the other slide near the south end that's visible from the Lincoln Brook Trail.