Owl's Head on either Fri 16th or Mon 19th?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whichway

Reaction score
Owl's Head on Mon the 19th?

Is anyone heading to Owl's Head on Monday the 19th and wouldn't mind an extra hiker and dog along for the trip?

- whichway (and Delilah)

Last edited:
Do bear in mind that the snowmelt resulting from this heatwave is going to make for "interesting" river crossings or a very moist bushwhack... not saying it can't be done, but it would not be for the faint of heart. I'd have my pack unbuckled in case you go under.

Do bear in mind that the snowmelt resulting from this heatwave is going to make for "interesting" river crossings or a very moist bushwhack... not saying it can't be done, but it would not be for the faint of heart. I'd have my pack unbuckled in case you go under.
We just did this hike, allow me to discuss the short cuts which avoid several (but not all) of the water crossings.

The Black Pond BW will save you time and distance, and at least 2 water significant water crossings. Just head towards the pond off the main trail where it is marked. At the end of the maintained trail, you will see that it just keeps going. Generally head North. You gain a little elevation and then drop as you approach the end.

Then after you cross the Lincoln Brook, there is a flat spot where the Brutus BW starts. It was a piece of cake to follow last week. It also saves time and distance. You will come out on the traditional herd path above the slide after about 1200' of climbing. Then it's a pretty easy walk to the false summit(s), and eventually the true summit! :D

Good luck!

If you're concerned with the possible conditions on Lincoln Brook that might leave your boots wet, bring water shoes and a towel. We waded across Lincoln Brook last spring - it wasn't that bad. In fact, a couple of us did not have water shoes. We just removed our boots and socks and charged across.

It's not a big deal.

Refreshing!

:)