Owl's Head, Shamie's 45th! -- 8/26/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Well, this trip certainly wasn't the most exciting one to pass through this area on that day but, nonetheless, it was a good one.

Shamie and I got a little bit of a late start heading out and didn't hit the trail until a little after 8am. As we headed down the Wilderness Trail, we were making good time and soon caught up to MtnMagic who had left the TH a little before 8am. We said "hi" and kept moving because we wanted to make decent time and enjoy a hike by ourselves. We soon reached the Black Pond Trail and were glad to get off the tracks. We made it to the pond about 40-45min after leaving the car. We stopped for a few minutes to shed layers, take a pee break, and enjoy the view. Just as we were gearing back up, MtnMagic arrived. We headed into the woods, following a herd path at first while he waited for his dog.

Shamie really doesn't like bushwacking but I had told her that the woods were pretty open there and that we'd be cutting some milage off so, she was OK with it. I set our bearing a little more westerly than last time I did this as I wanted to try to cut off even more. The result was that we went through stuff that was a little thicker and had more ups and downs. It wasn't too bad but, it retrospect I think next time I'll swing my bearing back east a little (though still NNW). We lost almost an hour in there.

Shortly after hitting the Lincoln Brook Trail, we took a snack break on some rocks in the stream. It was a great spot. While we were snacking, MM, his friend, and his dog went by. We decided to chill out a little as we didn't want to be playing leapfrog. A little bit of solitude is a nice thing now and then. When we started again, we navigated the mud, a giant hole in the trail, and the stream crossing which was very easy.

After the crossing, I knew the slide would be coming up soon so I was ready to keep a sharp eye out for it. It turns out, there was no need to worry as there were practically neon signs screaming where it began. There were cairns on both sides of the trail, a purple ribbon or something in a tree and two trees (one on each side of the begining of the path) had been carved with huge arrows! This was very upsetting as now these trees will probably become diseased and die, all in the name of peakbagging!!! :mad: I really expected more respect for the woods from my fellow hikers. I truly wonder what kind of FOOL would do such a thing??? :confused: It almost makes me sick to think about it. :( *sigh*

We climbed the slide with no issues and enjoyed the wonderful view of Franconia Ridge. I looked hard at the Lincoln Slide to see if we could see Giggy and MEB et al. but we could only see some folks on the ridge. Maybe it was them! On our way up we ran into these two guys I had met on the Hancocks late last May. They recognized me and even remembered my name! It seemed like a lifetime ago that I saw them and their dogs. It was funny when I realized that I'd climbed over 100 4Ks since then. Maybe that's why it seemed like so long ago...

After chatting for a bit, we continued up and reached the "old" summit area. We stopped for lunch and MtnMagic asked if we were going to go to the "new" summit. He was giving people guided tours out to it. I told him that I didn't know and that it was up to Shamie. Well, she decided that since the old one still counted for the FTFC it was good enough for her. She didn't want to go another .5mi RT just to see a wooden sign. Besides, she'd had enough wackin' for one day and a rough herd path is the same thing to her.

So, we headed down, taking it slow to try to avoid injury. It wound up being a waste of time since near the bottom of the slide I took a slide and scraped up my arm. For the way out, we stuck with the trail and made good time. The crossings that are impossible in Spring were cake and actually a lot of fun. I was glad to check them out for a change. We also passed a really cool bog area too.

In all, it was a great day out for the two of us and Shamie actually said she wouldn't mind going back there some time. 'Course, she's got three more peaks in her sights before that...

Here are some pics.

Double Bow

Havent done the "new peak" yet, ..will get out there next year, hopefully coming down lincoln slide this time...

carving trees is a disgrace...we complain about rangers removing cairns from this spot and hikers do something stupid like that...jeez...

K

Cool, she is almost there! Congrats to her.

What I love is that the reason given by the Forest Service that all the cairns get torn down, and blazes removed is to eliminate man made objects from the wilderness. Why then did I manage to spot at least THREE little "No Camping" signs along the trail :rolleyes: . Got to love it! :(

Brian

Congradulations to Shamie for her 45th. I actually had owls head for my 45th as well. I don't mind saying, a fine 45th!

I did owlshead on the 13th of august, and didn't see the arrows chopped into the trees, so I think that was new (I can't imagine not noticing them). Don't people know the adage 'Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints'. Actually, I guess we all know the answer is no. seems like such a simple thing too.

I also noticed the hole in the ground and commented on it with the person I was with (who was finishing his 48th). That was a hole I wouldn't want to fall into. Went down at least 10-12 feet to the river. Will have to watch that one for future erosion.

Nice photos and good trip report, thanks!

Nice TR and Pix, Double Bow _ and congrats to Shamie!

Too bad the trees are marked up. I'm guessing someone did that because the forest ranger kept removing the cairn at the base of the trail leading to the slide. Too bad one bit of craziness let to a more destructive kind.