Packs and Snowshoes like oil and water

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSunRa

Reaction score
The thing I hate about snowshoes is trying to figure out a way to strap the suckers on the pack so they're not in the way. Meaning I don't have to unstrap them to get into my pack. I usually leave the snowshoes in the car just so I don't have to deal with them. Wouldn't be cool to have a folding snowshoe.

DaveSunRa said:
Wouldn't be cool to have a folding snowshoe.
As long as they don't fold when you put weight on them...

Many bindings press flat which helps. I use buckle straps or bungee cords depending on the pack. Still an awkward package.

Doug

There are folding snowshoes on the market already...or at least there was fairly recently. I think the name of them were Powder Wings or something along those lines.
I recently swaped over to a pack that has a full side zip which allows easy entry into the pack.

I haven't had such a problem with a couple different packs. Most packs that are sufficiently large to handle the required winter gear have enough of a surface on the back of the pack where I can basically hang the snowshoes with nylon cord strung through the various types of tie downs on the pack. The key is to use three or four straps to get them secure with shoelace type knots for easy undoing.

But the ultimate solution was to get a pack that had some flaps on the back that were specifically set up to handle snowshoes, with a nice long side zipper for access while they're still strapped on.

Osprey makes some snow sport packs (Switch Series) that have a zipper behind the back panel to access the main compartment without removing Your snowshoes, snowboard or ski's. It also has an insulated compartment and hydration tube cover so Your water don't freeze.

Sun Ra

I saw Sun Ra close the Den Haag jazz festival in 1986, it was amazing! That was truly one of the most unique bands ever. I played/hung out with a guitar player who played/lived (the band lived in kind of a commune) with Sun Ra, he told me they would often play/Rehearse 12 hours a day...ooops slightly off topic, um, I think Jon Gilmore (SunRa's longtime Saxophonist) had a similar problem with snowshoes and backpacks, I think he opted to leave his in the car also...

On most packs 2 bungee cords work just fine if you criss cross them. I have a pack that is specific for winter that has a pocket just for the snowshoes. It is a Eureka Pipe Dream that is discontinued now . The back has 2 huge nylon flaps with buckles that wrap around the shoes and under this is a shove it pocket for my shell and crampons. It also has ski loops on the side with straps to hold xc skis and a built in pack cover to keep off snow. It makes winter a little more fun(as if it could get any better :D ).

My Atlas sowshoes came with their own pack, which can go inside my winter pack, or, just be strapped to the outside, not great, but the best system that I've ever used.

I lay them across the front (or is it back?) of the pack. The top of the shoe should not expent above the top of your pack by more than 2" to avoid hitting branches.

I then hold them in place with two nylon staps one at the top of the pack and the other at the bottom; both with a snap buckles. Bungies will work too if they are the correct size and there is a place close to the side of the pack that touches your back to attach them. The bungi has to attach close to your back or the shoes will flop around. Of course straps are lighter. All this works fine for the normal 2800 to 3500 cu in witer day pack. If you are going out with a little daypack then, well, you need a bigger pack or carry them in you hands.

If you have a pack with compression straps, imagine unthreading them from the exising ladder buckles. Now attach one half of a snap buckle to one side. On the other side, you could attach the other half of the buckle except the strap is too short. So you can add a 1 ft extension to this strap so it is long enough to go around the shoes to meet the first buckle.

Or you can have your custom pack made with longer straps to do all this from the start. :) And when your having the straps lengthened on the custom pack, asked them to make'em replaceable so they can be changed if the snowshoe claws damage them :D

BTW, These same straps are long enough to allow you to piggyback a pack or another pair of snowshoes so you can actually carry an injured person's pack for them without discomfort or a spent hikers snowshoes (two pair of shoes) comfortably on boiler plate or roadwalk at the end of the day.

Haven't tried to carry a person this way, but wouldn't rule it out in a jam if they were light. Did I mention this is a small Mchale pack with a full frame.

I agree with John Swanson. Depending on the pack I am using, I usually use a bungee on the top as well as one on the bottom (shorter length full size bungees). I also have some bungees that are a little longer and to avoid flopping, I put some knots in them to shorten them up. If the bungees are too loose the snowshoes bounce with every step, as john states and seemingly pull you back as you move forward.

I have used nylon straps as well in that same picture that John paints, but I really like the quick on and off of bungees (the bungees hook right to the pack's side compression straps). I keep the toes of the shoes up and curving just over the top of the pack and they have always seemed to fit fine (Sherpas 9x30).
Good Luck
Rick

Rick said:
I have used nylon straps as well in that same picture that John paints, but I really like the quick on and off of bungees (the bungees hook right to the pack's side compression straps).
Rick

Straps that thread are a nightmare.
Straps with snap buckles are easier but can still be tough to open with big mittens when they are tight.
Bungies are easiest. I used to use them but switched to straps for weight.

Ditto what Kevin Rooney said...I have the Dakine Guide and it carries my Atlas's well. But you really do need something to protect the pack material from the claws of the shoes...My shoes came with a cover and strap for such a purpose.

Remix said:
Ditto what Kevin Rooney said...I have the Dakine Guide and it carries my Atlas's well. But you really do need something to protect the pack material from the claws of the shoes...My shoes came with a cover and strap for such a purpose.

I have several nice rips in my winter pack from my MSr's. I have the same problem as the original poster and was looking at the EMS Summit TL pack. It appears to handle the snowshoe problem well. Anyone have experience with this one? ALso, what pack did you switch over to SpiderSolo?
J

If you attached the shoes with the claws facing out, it should correct this problem..

Also, some packs have a protective layer of fabric to prevent abrasion in this area.

Most packs I have ever used has the 2 side comprsion straps on each side of the pack. I just use them to hold my snowshoes. As long as you make them tight they wont slide down. I have never had a problem doing it that way.

As for tears in the pack from the shoes, just face the crampons out.

Jasonst said:
I have several nice rips in my winter pack from my MSr's. I have the same problem as the original poster and was looking at the EMS Summit TL pack. It appears to handle the snowshoe problem well. Anyone have experience with this one? J
Jason,
I've owned 3 EMS summits since '94 or '95. 2 TLs and 1PL. I do like them stylewise and the material/stitching is very good and I also like the fact that they can easily swallow 3CIs of gear. The downside - I have never really cared for the way the pack feels when carrying 30-35 lbs. It just never seemed supportive enough and the pack sways - I have never really been able to get a good fit. However, cheap as I am I chose price over fit on my EMS packs. I ended up selling my first toploader after about 4 years and then the next year, I bought a PL and a TL at an employee sale. I used the 2nd TL until '2002 and then sold it to a coworker.

FWIW, I've kept the PL because it has served me well for short airline trips to places where I plan to dayhike for a few days. I can pack my clothes and dayhike gear in it and have to carry only one pack on the plane and I simply throw it on my back when traveling. It opens up alomost as wide as a suitcase, as well - It, again, is not as comfortable as my marmot, but it serves well when you need it for several different purposes.

John-

With the claws facing out, there is still abrasion between the claws and flap of fabric that creates a pocket for snow shoes...I assume it was designed to hold a snow board.

Remix said:
With the claws facing out, there is still abrasion between the claws and flap of fabric that creates a pocket for snow shoes...I assume it was designed to hold a snow board.
Some snowshoes (eg MSR) can be carried crampon-to-crampon. Minimal abrasion on either side.

Doug