Part of Wapack relocated

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
I don't recall anyone mentioning this before: the Windblown section has been relocated to the periphery of the property. It now follows the Windblown driveway, a couple of ski trails (Stagecoach Road and Back Forty), then a nice woodsy path before joining the trail up on the ridge not far from where it originally left the ski trails. Excellent trail for a stroll, for kids and newbies. No mud today, even after yesterday's rains.

You still park in the same place, along Rte 124.

New map (dated 5/10):

http://www.wapack.org/docs/Windblown_Reloc_Map.pdf

How is the new section holding up? When I raced there in May it seemed to have the potential of getting very eroded quickly.

It's looking very good. These are established ski trails for the most part, and the upper path isn't new, having been used previously as a snowshoe trail. The original Wapack was pretty gooey in spots most of the time in normal rain years.

Thanks, Audrey! This is good information.

And we should all remember to try to visit Windblown in the winter for fantastic, groomed cross country skiing and snowshoeing. The Jenks family are responsible stewards of the land and great members of the outdoor sports community.

Pat t

Thanks, Audrey! This is good information.

And we should all remember to try to visit Windblown in the winter for fantastic, groomed cross country skiing and snowshoeing. The Jenks family are responsible stewards of the land and great members of the outdoor sports community.

Pat t

PLUG :cool:

The current newsletter from the Friends of the Wapack advises that people should not park on the Windblown property, but "to park along the south side of Turnpike Road between Wapack Road and the Windblown driveway, well off the roadway."

In addition, when they are open, "everyone using the Wapack Trail through Windblown property needs to pay for a trail ticket." Users have to wear skis or snowshoes, and if wearing snowshoes must stay off ski tracks. No dogs.

www.wapack.org

Overnight?

I assume the shelters at Windblown are still available for overnight use (for a fee)?

Is Binney Hill Rd (from 119 in Rindge) open to hiking. Last time I was there (years ago) I had to wade thru 3 ft of water because of beavers. Will be up in November and was thinking of a short hike up to Pratt.

Is Binney Hill Rd (from 119 in Rindge) open to hiking. Last time I was there (years ago) I had to wade thru 3 ft of water because of beavers. Will be up in November and was thinking of a short hike up to Pratt.

I don't know if the road is open, but there is no longer a sign for the Pratt Pond Trail at the junction with the Wapack.