PAtN - Peak Above the Nubble Oct 22, 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
9 of us met at 8:30 Saturday morning for a hike to the summit of Peak ABove the Nubble.

Geri and I had previously done this hike in May 2004 from a differant direction and found it much easier starting on Haystack Road.

Along the way we had great views of Mt Washington from two lookouts. Most of the way we managed to follow herd paths, and avoid much of the spruce.

Our detailed trip report with photos is posted on our webpage

http://rbhayes.net/latest/peakabovethenubble/index.htm

Thanks, Bob and Geri, for posting the first TR on this! I only just got home so I won't have my pics or report up until later or tomorrow. Fantastic fotos, Bob!

I had a terrific time meeting a new face and hiking with familiar ones. This was a very enjoyable bushwhack, and overall just a lot of fun while still being a decent workout.

I should also say it was good to bump into Sapblatt & Rols afterward, as well as tracking down the "Whackfest" group over at Hancock campground. I hope you folks stayed dry ... from our cozy motel room that rain sound awfully heavy!

Last edited:
Indeed, thanks BobandGeri for organizing this trip and everyone else for coming along. I had a really great time on this hike (of course it helped that it seemed easier than some of the other whacks I've done.) :)

My pictures from the hike are up here . They have upgraded the site so it doesn't work if you don't have Flash Player 8 on your computer... so if the page doesn't have text or pictures on it, you can download Flash 8 here.

- Ivy

Good work one and all.

And I see you made it over the False (East) Peak. I love this view: PAtN from False (East) Peak

Did you find the "illegal" route that was cut a few years ago? When we went, we thought it came in from the SE up to the ridge line just NE of the true peak. Maybe this shot North Twin slides was from the top of that cut?

You had great day and a great group. As Yoda would say: "Jealous I am!"

Drewski - we missed you!

Papa Bear - the view from "East Peak" was great ! Didn't see the illegal trail - but then again we didn't look for it. The shot of the slides on North Twin may have been taken at the top of it - it was clear, but we didn't go much further than the first outcropping to take photos.

Can't wait to do it again!

My first bushwack, well my first intentional one. Great trip, great company and a whole day outside without being rained on. :) Thanks for having us along.

Great pictures everyone! It sure was nice to finally have a weekend day without any rain!

-MEB

I've read that the maps changed at one point - the earlier maps call this peak the Nubble. Up until I read that, I had seen people refering to Haystack as the Nubble.

In any case - there are good views from there and a nice flat area to setup a tent if one wanted to sleep overnight there.

A question: isn't the East Peak also known as "The Nubble" (view 2 in your report), of which Peak 3813 is above?
SK

There have been various discussions on this which I think go back to some old AMC maps. I have one such (from the 1966 WMG) which seems to put the name between what we call Haystack and the East Peak. However the same edition says on page 119: "The Nubble (2,712 feet) is a prominent shoulder on the N slope of North Twin". This statement indicates that "The Nuble" is Haystack Mountain (this is the spot elevation on the old 15' quads, whereas the East Peak has a closed 3440' contour). See Old Map

My reading is that the person who put the labels on the map was careless and the "The Nubble" is and always has been Haystack. As an example of carelessness, the same map has "Haystack Mt." on a little bump down on the northeast slope of the same area. There is a little bump there (near the current clear cut) but not one USGS map agrees that that bump is "Haystack". All maps, old or new, show "Haystack" right where current maps show it. The old map shows the little bump with a 2500' closed contour. Conclusion: the old AMC map is unreliable. Incidently, the name "Nubble" does not appear on any USGS map, old or new that I have seen, and is not on any new AMC map. The curerent WMG identifies Nubble with Haystack.

Since "Peak above the Nubble" is "above" all of these bumps, I think that designation alone doesn't tell us which one is the true "Nubble".

If I get a chance, I'll scan in my old map and post it.

Last edited:
Great hike and a fun time whacking up to the summit of :) "Peak 3813" also known as "Peak Above the Nubble" or also known as "the Nubble"......... :confused:

Thanks BobandGeri for organizing the bushwack! That was #68 on the NEHH list for me.

Can't wait for the next one!!

Yeah, Post'r Boy and his group made the entire Scar Ridge traverse sound like an enjoyable walk in the woods. I'd be up for that! :cool:

Old maps

OK, I scanned in my old map and the page from the 1966 WMG.

Here's the 1966 AMC map. Note that the label "The Nubble" seems to go with the East Peak, but is actually between two peaks - Haystack on the left and East Peak on the right. Meanwhile "Haystack Mt." is way up to the NE at the wrong point.

aar.jpg

Here's the page from the 1966 WMG. In the section at the bottom it mentions The Nubble as a 2712' prominent shoulder of North Twin.

aat.sized.jpg

And here's the old USGS 15' map showing Haystack as 2712' and appearing where it still does today.

aas.sized.jpg

My opinion: The text is correct, and "The Nubble" label was carelessly added to the map and belongs to the left at Haystack.

Today's WMG says "Haystack Mtn. (2713 ft.), also sometimes called the Nubble, is a small but very prominent rocky peak that rises sharply from the lower end of North Twin's north ridge; it has magnificent views."

I'm guessing the draftsman who did the 1966 AMC map had the labels to put on and decided he couldn't put "Haystack" and "The Nubble" on the same point, so he improvised.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
So my trip report turned out pretty short and kind of lame, so I'll just point you to the photos I took. This time. Next trip will be a novella, though. :)