Paugus / Lawrence trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo68

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the relocation of the Lawrence trail coming off of Mt.Paugus. I hiked this a few years ago and the section that skirted along the high wooded cliffs near the overhang was very difficult. I had heard a year ago that this portion of the Lawrence trail had been relocated to avoid this section of trail. So my question is has this occurred and can someone give a description of the new section of trail? Does it avoid the steep descent of the Overhang?

Thank you
Chris

We hiked that trail last year on a "Sandwich Range Traverse." (Rt 16 to Rt 49) The relo is a sweet wide sidehill. No steep parts and you will marvel at the construction job. What a piece of work!

Thank you for the reply. I am glad to not face the Overhang and the steep talus descending from it. I am glad that I did the old section now and can't wait to see the new section.

Thank you again!
Chris

I kind of liked that old wicked talus slope - did it on a descent - it was unexpected and wild. Here are pictures I took from this hike in Oct. 2005 when I traversed the old and tricky trail in a steady drizzle. Link. This descent is covered in photos D-19 thru D-26. All are captioned.

Oh darn, I loved that nasty section, especially taking first timers down that way and having them get to the top of the biggest gully... :eek:
I knew it was just a matter of time. :(

Great pictures Aaron, thank you. I did this hike by myself and that section was wet, slippery and treacherous for me. I would have probably enjoyed it more had I had a crew of people with me. Sometimes facing slopes like this by yourself after not seeing a soul all day long can be kind of unnerving. I was going to do this last weekend with a friend but my friend had an emergency and canceled. I did Wonalancet Hedgehog instead and had views over to the Overhang coming down Hedgehog.

Chris

I thought the narrow traverse on loose gravel over big air with no handholds was the highlight. But the two gullies were attention-getters, too!
Trail was eroding badly, though, and WODC did a great job with the relo.