Paying for rescues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil,

I tend to agree with you. Who decides whether the people in need of rescue were unprepared or to what degree an error in judgement becomes 'foolish'? And would paying apply to hunters, fishermen, snowmobilers, birders when they get lost and need rescue ? It's upsetting when hikers don't use common sense, rely on cell phones to bail themselves out of trouble, or bite off more than they should, but paying for rescues is a slippery slope.

When all is said and done I think that in the end it will come down to cold hard cash. If they need $$$$$ to support their missions, they will need to find some creative way to get it. They might give some thought to what hikers believe, but sooner or later I think the decision will be made and we will all have to live with it.

Don't our taxes pay for our fireman and police officers?

( DISCLAIMER-Please...I not suggesting that tax money should be used to reimburse SAR.)

Last edited:
Part of the fees paid for hunting & fishing licenses are supposed to go for S&R.

Is it time for some type of insurance? I buy a CT fishing license (where I fish) & if the out of state ones were not so expensive, I'd consider buying ones for NH & NY on the off chance I might stop for an hour or two during a trip & also supports F&G. However, for what the states want for a three day pass for out of staters (for people who will fish all weekend) I just leave the equipment home.

In NY is it DEC that coordinates rescues? Is hunting & fishing under DEC jurisdiction? I should know this... (or just continue not getting lost)

Last edited:
In NY the DEC covers Fishing and Hunting. In NY, DEC coordinates wildland SAR because DEC has the Forest Rangers.

But I think we have beaten the "charging for rescue" topic completely to death in several earlier threads. notably this one:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...and-Rescue-Funding-Hearing&highlight=charging

(25 pages!).

I don't think I have anything left to say that I have not said at least a couple times...

:)

In NY is it DEC that coordinates rescues? Is hunting & fishing under DEC jurisdiction? I should know this... (or just continue not getting lost)

Basically, yes. There are essentially two law enforcement branches within DEC. The Environmental Conservation Police (the guys in the green marked police cars) handle everything from industrial pollution to backcountry pot harvesting to fishing licenses to illegal burning and plenty in between. The Forest Rangers are, well, the Rangers and are more low key (for lack of a better way of putting it). They coordinate searches in forested/mountainous areas and also do backcountry foot patrol. Aerial assistance on searches comes from New York State Police aviation. Hope that clears it up. :)

There were suggestions this week that hikers who are unprepared or make foolish mistakes should pay for their rescues. For what it's worth, you can click here for my two cents.

Nice article. I completely agree with your two cents philosophically. Also, the only actual additional costs incurred to the state from rescue operations are in the form of overtime payments to involved personnel and aviation costs when applicable. New Yorkers pay a lot in taxes and don't really need an extra punch in the pants in the form of a rescue bill.

I dont think in this case he should be charged. I do wonder how anyone can become separated from their group, Guy stops to tie his shoe, you wait for him."you never leave your wingman".

You could argue anyone who attempts Marcy or Algonquin in the winter is foolish. At least he started out in a group.

I hike high peaks in the summer alone, but would never attempt soloing in the winter, even the easier ones.

Last edited: