Pemi Loop - Thursday, August 24th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
I did THE Pemi Loop again today, my second time this summer. This time I was joined BY Stinkyfeet, who was GREAT to hike with. Thanks to her for being terrific company and running AT my slower pace. :D

I put the trip report up on my website and am too lazy to cut and paste it here (no pics, explanation in the TR). Here's the link.

Incredible

Jamie and Sue -

I am beginning to think you two think that a Pemi Loop is interval training!
Before long you will doing sets of 2-3 Pemi Loops in a day! :D
I am assuming the time is 11 days, 20 hours! :p
I think I am a different specie!

Jamie and I had a GREAT time yesterday. In fact, my jaws were the most sore BODY part at day's end, due to talking and laughing SO much. :D :rolleyes: :p We DID have some mighty entertaining & interesting conversations. One of these days I may learn that there might, just MIGHT, be someone around the next bend who may not appreciate my humor... :D :cool: :eek:

The weather turned out better than that forecast, and we literally COULD have done the loop with a couple of water bottles and a bit of food. (Before anyone gets their panties all in a bunch, I would NEVER actually RECOMMEND that, of course.)

We noticed some NICE new waterbars on the Franconia Ridge Trail and some recent rock work on the West Bond Spur. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone at the hut as I absent-mindedly fondled the leftover cake. (Some folks are just SO germ phobic!!) :eek:

All in all, an AWESOME day in the Whites after having spent most of the summer in the Colorado Rockies...

RickM said:
Jamie:
What's your verdict on the relative difficulty of clockwise versus counterclockwise?

I think they're both the same difficulty wise, in my opinion... however, I prefer counter-clockwise only because of how it ends. It's nice to run down the Osseo, which is soft and has very few rocks and then only have about a mile and a half of that boring Wilderness Trail. :p

Good report, good job guys... that's quite a loop! :)
I'll have to try it counter... that boring Wilderness Trail... it's only good for tripping you up ;) :D

Which direction

RickM, you didn't ask for my opinion, but I'm giving it to you anyway. ;)

Like Jamie, I prefer doing the Pemi Loop in the counter-clockwise direction for a few reasons:

-- You get the 4.9 miles of the Wilderness Trail done first, usually in the early hours of the morning when you're not fully awake yet anyway. :p

-- You get to DESCEND the steep 8/10 mile from South Twin to Galehead Hut (admittedly, this may be a negative point for folks w/finnicky knees).

-- The north side of Lafayette is spectacular, one of the gems of the White Mtns., IMO! It's spectacular doing down, too, but I just enjoy going up it more.

-- Bondcliff Ridge is VERY nice, but Franconia Ridge is above treeline much longer and nice to look forward to at the end of the day. (Caveat: if the weather is iffy, I recommend going clockwise so as to get most of the above-treeline stuff done first. This is the main reason Frodo, Sir Edmund, and I did the Jan. 2005 Winter Pemi Loop in the clockwise direction... keeping in mind, of course, that the winds are predominantly from the NW and thus usually in your face.)

-- The Osseo Trail is less rocky than the Bondcliff and, therefore, easier--and more fun--to run down.

-- That's about all I can think of right now!

:)

Wait a minute!

That Stinky pulled a fast one as she hiked another Pemi loop with me, counter clockwise on Saturday. Is she going to do it again on Monday - Is this a new trend - to hike the Pemi loop every other day? How many others are there that she has done a Pemi loop with the past week or two?

Not to brag Artex, but we had a much better time I'm sure :D

Cruddy Toes said:
That Stinky pulled a fast one as she hiked another Pemi loop with me, counter clockwise on Saturday. Is she going to do it again on Monday - Is this a new trend - to hike the Pemi loop every other day? How many others are there that she has done a Pemi loop with the past week or two?

Not to brag Artex, but we had a much better time I'm sure :D

I can't believe she did it again! Well, actually I can. Glad you guys had a good time! :D

CT,

I haven't done a Pemi Loop with her for about a year and a half, but I am due... :)

3 times in one week is incredible! But then again, what she accomplished last month in Colorado was also remarkable...

Way to go!

No Pemi Loop for me on Monday. Gotta get the car inspected before the end of the month. :( But perhaps Tuesday? Wednesday? Hmm... What's the weather look like this week?... :rolleyes: