pictures of paddling campsite privies?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
Several of our river campsite privies are aging, and we need to consider replacement of them in the next couple years.

One of the ideas a volunteer of ours had was to use 55 gallon plastic drums as privies. Apparently he came across privies in Maine somewhere that were basically made from barrels cut in 1/2. The middle of the barrel was then the bottom of the privy. The top of the barrel had a hole cut out, and the a toilet seat was attached. IT seems like a pretty simple, cheap, and durable design. Plus, we have someone willing to build them if we provide the materials!

We have one reservation, though...these are primitive campsites. Is a plastic privy really in keeping with that sort of setting?

I have never seen these plastic privies, and it would be nice to see a picture of one at a campsite to see what it looks like.If anyone has any pictures of open-air privy designs(plastic or otherwise) that they would like to share, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

jason

best outdoor dump in a while

5005139567_129f8e0665.jpg

Here is one from Umbagog Lake. I am a big fan of those. They seem to contain the odor and the views are fantastic! :D

...these are primitive campsites. Is a plastic privy really in keeping with that sort of setting?

They may work well, but that bright blue is garish to my eyes - not really "in keeping." Get your friend to paint it brown, at least?

Thanks to your group, by the way, for your good work on those campsites, which some friends and I have have greatly enjoyed on a couple of canoe camping trips.

Thanks for all the responses!

Brambor, that pic is exactly what I was talking about!

Amicus, thanks for the kind words. We are thinking the blue is maybe too much. It would be nice to have a privy that we could basically build once and have virtually forever.....less maintenance, cheaper in the long run....lighter.

The barrels come in different colors, blue, red, bright green, white, and black....we are leaning black.

IndianChris: I was thinking painted in a camouflaged design.;)

Why plastic barrels? Plastic is not compatible with a wilderness setting, regardless of the color. The wooden box privies in the Adirondacks and Algonquin Prov. Park are actually nice-looking, blend well with a wooded setting, are very functional, and serve the purpose very well. Of course, they must be built and don't move as easily as a bunch of plastic barrels, but you need to decide if the savings in cost and effort for using plastic are worth the less than ideal result that campers will have to live with for many years.

ALGonquin Bob, thanks for the candid imput! This is the dilemma we are presented with. As a non-profit, especially in the current fiscal environment, we must use the limited resources we have wisely. These privies are inexpensive, will not need much if any maintenance, and someone else will build them for us. This will save us both time, and $$ in the short and long term.

But, we will have them a long time, and we want to make the right decision. Part of me feels, if this design isd okay for Lake Umbagog, then is should be okay for the CT. River. Part of me.

Very interesting topic. Not to many choices and I guess having people go anywhere is probably the worst choice. So do you use plastic that doesn't go with the surroundings or leave things the way they are if there isn't enough $.

Hate to say it but I think the plastic privies is better than,

a) no privies at all and the waste leaches into the water
b) old ones won't get fixed because there isn't enough $

Gotta be some $ out there for the environment, but with all these states having budget problems I don't think anyone in the cities will want money spent in the wilderness, to bad. Maybe one of us will hit "lotto" and help the environment...

The people paddling to these campsites probably have garish colored plastic or resin based boats. I dont think they will object to a blue plastic privy. I expect the porkies may be far less agressive to plastic barrels than wood as the plastic will not absorb salt. The plastic ones I have seen usually have vehicle access and are pumped out on occasion. I am not sure how well they would work unless shoveled out and composted on occasion. Andy B may be able to comment as he has sime involvement with northern NH facilities.

coldfeet: good thoughts. We have an obligation to protect the resource, and we will. We just want to make sure we do it with thought and foresight.

peakbagger: Also, excellent points. We move the privy at least annually and dig a new hole.

I am extremely grateful to all the responses! Keep 'em coming!

I may put a poll up at some point...

I helped an AT crew build a composting privy on the AT in Western MA.

It basically consisted of the standard little wooden building on top of a double-width plinth with two chambers. The waste collects in one of the chambers until it is full and then the "building" is moved to the other chamber. Add some leaves etc to the full side, stir, and leave it to compost. Repeat as necessary.

It does require that someone pay attention to switch sides when one fills up.

I may be able to find plans if you are interested.

Doug

Thanks, DougPaul. I think I have the base plans for that privy.

A mouldering privy, I think?
Not sure what to call it. The chambers are made with an open wood framework (2x6s with spaces between them, IIRC) lined with wire mesh and mosquito netting to allow airflow but impede insect and varmint-flow.
So the decay is aerobic.

EDIT: I checked--yes it is a mouldering privy.

Doug

Last edited:
privies

Och aye, Jason,
Good to see you consulting the community on this.
No matter what you build, the users will have opinions. So here is mine:
Mouldering privies are most cost-effective for sites with low levels of use on shallow soils that will end up polluting the ground water because the water table is too high. The combination of crib above the ground plus aerobic decomposition is expensive to build but it does resolve that problem.
However, IMO that solution is only necessary (pardon the 18th-century pun) where the water table is too high for the usual anaerobic pit privy. The riverside campsites you tend are likely all on deep silty or gravelly soil with good drainage. Follow the usual recommendations for distance and height from the water, and digging a series of pits over years will reach the same goal at far less expense. That is feasible in such soils for a group like yours that monitors and visits the sites for maintenance anyway.
Besides, if the site has to be closed and traces removed, a half barrel is much easier to haul away than a used mouldering privy...
As an aside. Tarpaulins in dark green or camouflage colors are cheap enough (email me for sources) and are really useful as privacy screens and roofs.

Creag nan drochaid

FWIW, the mouldering privy that I helped to build was a replacement for a pit outhouse. (We transferred the house to the new privy.) As it was at the Kay Wood lean-to (just E of Pittsfield MA) on the AT, it could be expected to get a reasonable amount of use.

The soil was thin and rocky and the site was on a hillside--the mouldering design was chosen because it would be easier to maintain than the pit toilet. (New sites were hard to find and digging was difficult.)

I just asked one of those involved in the decision process--she said that many of the MA AT privies were (or were being converted to) a mouldering design based upon the usage levels and the local soil (or lack of soil...).

Mouldering privies do require more frequent maintenance than pit privies--typ several times a year, but the routine maintenance is pretty easy.

Doug

Last edited:
As these things do get moved and are presumably out of sight, I would think a brighter color might be more practical from the standpoint of finding it.

As for plastic or paper, or wood, let's be realistic, even if it conflicts with nostalgia and sensibilities of subtlety. Plastic probably has a lower first cost and will outlast wood for various reasons so it may better fit the economic sustainability of the landowner, be it public, private or non-profit.

... having said that, I do admire the handiwork and imagination behind such privvies as the Dartmouth Outing Club but I expect there are plenty of volunteers and perhaps some generous endowment funds behind them ... besides, isn't that one of the majors at Dartmouth? ;)