Pinnacle Gully - April 1st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
A crisp clear morning greeted us as we packed up our gear for the short trek up to Huntington ravine. An earlier check at the logs told us we were likely to be the first in the ravine this morning. We passed one party, and one gentleman sped by us as we marched the trail up from Pinkham notch.

Pretty soon we were donning our harnesses and crampons. Another party arrived. We would be the first on the ice, but probably rushed by the people waiting below. The sun was warm against my face and there was no wind.
Doug(cbdbd) flaked out a rope while I set my belay anchor, two stoppers embedded into the pinnacle buttress. The shade from the butress was a stark contrast from the warm snow-reflected sun.

A third party arrived and asked to share the ice, cutting in front of the party before us. We all obliged. Doug started up. The low-angle ice quickly turned steep and Doug did a great job with it. He stopped periodically to place some screws and soon I was shouting 20 feet! and he placed three more screws for an anchor. I was getting cold in my poly-pro shirt.

While Doug finished setting the belay anchor I broke down my own and headed up to his first screw and removed that. I had to get moving because I was getting cold in the shade. Soon I was on belay, and removed the second screw. It began to get steep, as the woman climbing to my right was cursing the wet ice.

I was extracting the last screw when a wild feeling raced through my body. I found myself ready to vomit. I thought I was feeling that way because I was nervous about leading the second pitch, but I told myself doug would probably be happy to lead it if I asked him to. Then my hands started to burn. I guess they had gone numb without me realizing it. I should have switched to my ice gloves instead of wearing my light fleece ones. The "screamy pukies" persisted, as I b*tched and moned looking down at the patient party below.

The feeling subsided and I reached the belay. Doug helped me find my jacket in my pack and I was warm again. I headed out on lead, placing an early screw. Traversing right, I found a good place for a second screw when Doug pointed out that my last draw had come disconnected from the first ice screw. "Strange, " I thought. I was at a good stance and easily placed the next screw. I headed up the next ice bulge. Soon after, someone pointed out that I had dropped a screw, which I hadn't even realized. Not really sure about that one. It was looking like a pretty horrible lead so far.

Anyway, I went left up the next bulge to find it very brittle. I just could not get good placements for my axes. I was running low on screws, having placed two of them too early, and having sent one flying down the ice, so I was down to two stubbies and a 15er. I backed off the brittleness and looked right to find a nice cleft in the rock. The ice was wet and soft and took good placements so I carried on for a bit and found a nice spot for my red TCU. Doug was soon following me up.

At this point the woman had passed me up, carrying on through the brittleness since she had a bunch more screws than I. She was soon out of sight, screaming "Beeg Ice" before a large chunk would come flying down. Doug caught up and was soon on the sharp end again. He ran the pitch to some sun-bleached ice and was out of rope. I removed the rope from my belay device to give him a few more inches, and to simul-climb if he so desired.

Soon Doug and I were together again in the sun which felt great. I took a quick break on the belay before heading up to the talus slope and flaking out the rope. We caught up with the guys who had passed us up and they gave Doug back his screw. I was grateful for its return.

Doug and I then made our way through the alpine garden and finally to right gully in order to avoid the slog down Lion's Head. We watched a skier head down "the chute" and butt-slid to the base of the bowl. There we greeted Hiker Amiga and Bob who was heading up the bowl for a run. We chatted with the rangers and a snowboarder as we descended to HoJo's. The remainder of the hike was a slog.

All in all a great day out! Thanks Doug.

-percious

Last edited:
giggy said:
BTW - we took your beer home ;) ;) :eek:
Enjoy the Hibernators :D

I'm uploading pics right now... up in a few minutes.

BTW, I realized yesterday that I went through April Fool's day without ONE prank. I'm very saddened by this, I could've had some good ones while we were ropped up :D :eek:

cbcbd said:
BTW, I realized yesterday that I went through April Fool's day without ONE prank. I'm very saddened by this, I could've had some good ones while we were ropped up :D :eek:
A guy on the radio claimed that all of April was Fool territory as it's April Fool not April 1st Fool. You still have time...

bubba said:
A guy on the radio claimed that all of April was Fool territory as it's April Fool not April 1st Fool. You still have time...
And it's not like I was inactive before April either :D

Ok, pics are here - they are backwards, so start from the back

A few highlights:

Percious enjoying the safety of the rock

"Beeg" ice on Pinnacle

French Canadian girl
And some French Canadian girl quotes:
"I put screw for you"
"Dose guys were shooting ice on us. We got f****d in the a**" :eek: :D :p

Screaming pukies? A thing of the past

Topping out

After a nice windless picnic on the garden, heading back

Also, we saw a guy heading down wearing these skis. I want them!!

Last edited:
blacklab2020 said:
what were the temps like up there? Not much snow left, that ice must have been pretty plasticky

Temps were probably mid-low 30s in the gully.

Surprisingly, the ice varied from soft and wet to dry and brittle. There was a bit of everything in there. There was still a considerable amount of snow on the summit cone and in tucks.

-percious

That's a nice climb. Even in April you have to be careful of hypothermia! I've only had that puky feeling once due to the cold and it passed quickly as soon as I warmed up. I don't want it again. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

by the way, you look like a Marine compared to the guy my daughter brought home the other day! :eek: He was a nice guy though.

percious said:
Where are all the "other" french canadien pics?
Oh, "those"? Maybe I'll post those on another forum :D

Woody48 said:
by the way, you look like a Marine compared to the guy my daughter brought home the other day! :eek: He was a nice guy though.
I hope you had your axes out when he came over...

As for Percious...
...complete sketchball

:p