Plastic boot shinbang - best avoidance measures?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expat

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that getting a different boot isn't an alternative.

So, has anyone who suffered shinbang in the past come up with a foolproof way to keep it from happening? I have found that it happens much less if I don't over-tighten the top several eyes of the plastic shell, but it still happens to some extent.

I have tried wrapping an extra sock around each leg at the appropriate height, but the sock doesn't like to stay in the right place. I've thought about keeping it there with duct tape.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

I used to get the same thing from my ski boots. It was partly due to impact, but also seemed to be due to friction. One thing that helped was a trick my coach showed me: spray a little bit of cooking oil (like "Pam") into a Ziploc sandwich bag (spray it in, then squeeze all the air out of the bag before you seal it). Put this between your shin and sock. It will act as a lubricant for your shin.

I don't know about foolproof but I've used Molefoam with pretty good success. There are also tongue pads and tongue shims available but I don't see how they'd work any better than just plain Molefoam. Here is a link to a vendor, they are about half way down the page.

Tongue pads

Also make sure its not a seam or overlap joint between the sock and underlayer thats bothering you.

Your boots don't fit right-it's that simple. I got bad shin bang from a pair of Koflachs because they were rentals and I didn't take the time to really fit them. I have a pair of Asolos and although I haven't worn them a lot, I don't seem to have the same problem. You may have to rethink the "no new boots" idea. Bad fitting boots are miserable as you already know.

The alternative is finding a really good bootfitter and see if they can do something with the shells or maybe put in a thermomoldable liner if your boots have removable liners.

All good suggestions.

The moldable liners are great. Sometimes they are expensive.

You can add padding to the shin of the boot. I used to do this with my alpine ski boots, before I gave that up. (Anyone remember Pink Panthers, and "Lange Bang?") Usually you can pick up various thicknesses of foam from anyplace that fits ski boots. If you have an old pair of ski boots, or pick one up for a couple dollars at a swap, you can cannibalize it for use in your current boots.

I don't know what you are using the boots for, but most plastics are just not great for walking. Steep slopes, kicking steps, front pointing, they're good, but for general walking I stay away from them in favor of leather, pac boots, or overshoes.

We used to call it Lange Bang, so named for orange plastic ski boots that caused it.

The problem is often friction of the hair folicles.

Try shaving your shins before the shin gets hurt.

If you ski regularly, the hair will grow back and you usually don't get the bang again that year.

But if you are hiking irregularly, I would shave before each hike.

expat -

How well is your heel locked into the boot? In my experience, shin bang is caused more from impact than friction. The inner boot of your mountaineering boots should be snug, but not tight. The laces of your outer boot should be rather snug over your instep to hold your heel into the boot. I have a lacing method to keep the lower half of the laces rather snug, and the top half a bit looser.

If you find your heel is still rising a bit with each step, try putting a thin shim under the heel footbed. Start with something thin, not more than 1/8", and see if it makes a difference.

Kevin

Num-"shin bang" happens when the top of a stiff boot-plastic in my case, literally bangs against your lower shin as you walk, causing bruising. Kind of like banging on it with a small hammer for a couple of hours. My shins hurt so bad after a day of this that I could hardly walk. I would assume that the newer flexible plastic boots (with the articulated cuffs) eliminate most of it, but I've never had a pair, so no personal experience.

ok, thats why i have never heard of it, i think ive worn down hill ski boot once, i was about ten and had my first and last downhill experience. I have seen a group hiking nipple top wearing ski boots. i would think they would be extremely heavy. thanks for the education, learn something new each day!

num-
I pretty sure what you saw were folks hiking in plastic mountaineering boots. Unless they were carrying ski's I can't see why anyone would ever hike in ski boots. They are heavy, but for very cold days and any kind of serious mountaineering, it's hard to beat plastics.

expat-
I agree that you may need to look into some different boots. I wore my koflach's right out of the box and have had zero issues. Another piece of advice (I picked up on this board by the way), put some good footbeds in the pair you ultimately go with. The one's the come in the liners are lightweigh foam, and good pair of superfeet or shockdoctors go a long way when wearing these kinds of boots.

It has happened to me from time to time & I find changing the lacing helps. Making sure everything sits right (can be a chore when you have longjohns, socks pants, & two parts of a double boot.)

Having the lacing too tight or having pants tucked into the boots by accident are my leading causes.

Advice -- of Sorts!

Here are some guidelines I use for plastic boot comfort:

Dont wear them unless...

1. It is forecast to be below 10 def F during the hike.

2. You plan to spend one or more nights out.

3. You plan on heavy-duty crampon use on steep terrain (e.g. Central Gully in Huntington's).

cb

shin bang

I have an item I sell to alpine skiers and snowboarders to help with shin bang. I know this forum isn't to sell stuff, but I have bootfitting experience and make custom footbeds (aka orthotics). If you'd like, pm me so we can discuss it off-line.

OD

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone! I have a couple of things to try. I appreciate all the suggestions.

One more trick

I have a pair of Smartwool downhill ski socks that have funky padding. The sock is padded in front but not back, and has special joints in the padding etc. It cost me around $20 for 1 pair but does seem to make some difference.

In general I haven't gotten much shin bang issues since when I first began to hike in the boots. I've found I need to have them laced at about a 4/10. Too loose and there's too much movement, too thight and I cut off bloodflow...4/10 seems just right, but you probably will want to play with it.