Poll: Icy/Snowy attempts of Mt. Washington - From Rt. 302 or Rt. 16?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When planning an outing to the summit of Mt. Washington in when the trail may have a

• Rt. 16 - Lion's Head / Tuckerman Ravine (Huntington Ravine doesn't count for this poll).

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Rt. 302 - Ammonoosuc Ravine / Jewel

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
[Disclaimer] This poll does not suggest that attempting to hike Mt. Washington from any trail at any time of the year is easy or should be done without careful planning and training.[/Disclaimer]

When planning an outing to the summit of Mt. Washington when the trail may have a considerable amount of snow or ice that may require snowshoes and or crampons - which side of the mountain do you usually park your car on?

Rt. 16 - Lion's Head / Tuckerman Ravine (Huntington Ravine doesn't count for this poll).

Rt. 302 - Ammonoosuc Ravine / Jewel

Personally, I prefer up/down Ammo.

Last edited:
I've done it once from both sides each time on a clear sunny day.

We found the trail up the summit cone from Lakes of the Crowds a little hard to follow, even on a nice day. Would hate to have to do it on a foggy day. Lion's Head and Tuckermans are very well marked.

From the west you're very exposed to the winds. From the east, the cone itself shelters you a good bit til you're practically at the summit.

I think there's also quite a bit more traffic on the east side than on the west, which you may or may not like. I was glad to have it as I was solo on that trip.

The Lions Head winter route is my route of choice. I like the technicality of the route and I think the route finding is easy even in bad conditions.

From the west you're very exposed to the winds. From the east, the cone itself shelters you a good bit til you're practically at the summit.

I prefer Lion's Head for alot of the same reasons Bob; although when the weather pattern is approaching from the West which most of the time it does that same cone can also hide the view of oncoming weather.

I'm cheap and lazy; the rte 16 side allows me to camp on-mountain, saving time and money. The rte 16 side is also a somewhat shorter drive for me. Plus I get updated weather and avalanche info from folks who've actually been in the ravines, in case I'm hesitating about whether to do something more than a plain hike.

I must qualify that I am a "fair weather hiker" and live nearby. If I get up in the morning and its windy, I go find something else to do. Therefore wind exposure on the west side isnt normally an issue as I dont let it be by picking my days. Worse case is I take a walk up to Lakes, see how the weather is and maybe just go over to Monroe. With that caveat, the approach from the west is my choice as I prefer going up Amonusuc or Jewell rather than Lions head winter route. The other reason for a westerly approach is I have been "surprised" more than a few times when the I got up on Lions head and the wind was cranking significantly higher than just below. Usually from the west you get a good idea down low on the wind conditions. One thing to keep in mind is if the weather gets nasty several folks have told me that finding the entrance to Jewell trail can be difficult. I havent experienced this as I try to make sure that it doesnt get nasty. BTW, I have the skills and gear just not the motivation.

I must qualify that I am a "fair weather hiker" and live nearby. If I get up in the morning and its windy, I go find something else to do. Therefore wind exposure on the west side isnt normally an issue as I dont let it be by picking my days. Worse case is I take a walk up to Lakes, see how the weather is and maybe just go over to Monroe. With that caveat, the approach from the west is my choice as I prefer going up Amonusuc or Jewell rather than Lions head winter route. The other reason for a westerly approach is I have been "surprised" more than a few times when the I got up on Lions head and the wind was cranking significantly higher than just below. Usually from the west you get a good idea down low on the wind conditions. One thing to keep in mind is if the weather gets nasty several folks have told me that finding the entrance to Jewell trail can be difficult. I havent experienced this as I try to make sure that it doesnt get nasty. BTW, I have the skills and gear just not the motivation.

to quote meatloaf if I may, 2 out three aint bad.

i voted lions head if I was going alone or with someone who has done it before.

if I was to take someone up there with whom I have not hiked before and who has not done the routes before then I would choose 302 because I would not have to deal with any steeps for a long time and I could turn around and still provide a good day for the person. In other words, I do not believe that hiking Mt.W to be a good choice for a inexperienced winter hiker.

Same for inexperienced summer hiker. It annoys me when these rookies come and decide to climb this mountain as their first attempt.

I've only tried from Pinkham, the winter LH trail. Depending on where I'm coming from, it may be a more efficient commute. But mostly, I've done it to within a half mile of the summit several times in winter, so I know it better. Then there is the fact that I might be able to buy a face mask or hat if I forgot mine.

Yeah, this pretty much describes my approach and experience as well - especially when hiking with my wife and dog. I try not to take the dog when I think there's a better than 10% chance I'll need crampons.

Go find the Mountain any which way it wants to give it to you...it just all really depends when you want to do it and what its gonna throw at you. God bless George!

I've done one winter conditions approach via Lion's Head and several Ammo/Jewell approaches.

IMHO and limited experience, I'd feel more comfortable approaching via Jewell in icy conditions. Jewell is so nicely graded that it makes for a nice, secure route when other trails are icy. The section of trail beyond Jewell along the Great Gulf can be a bit unnerving if icy but you can avoid it by cutting over to the Cog (though its really too beautiful to miss!). Also, if visibility conditions change, following the Cog Railway is an option.

I think Lion's Head has more intense scenery. I've been told the climb up the steep snowfield to the outcrop on Lion's Head can be very tricky in icy conditions -- but those weren't the conditions we faced when we used this route. IIRC a solo climber fell here last winter and ended up breaking his leg when he finally hit the scrub below, which broke his slide.

I find that Ammo can be very icy in early winter but with a nice snowpack makes a great snowshoe. I prefer to ascend this route in any conditions as its either icy, wet, a luge run, or any of the three combined. :)

I've climbed Mt Washington in winter 5 times from Pinkham, using whatever was the current route - original LH, new LH, new winter LH. That was before the cog was routinely plowed so I didn't have a lot of choice. I don't like the current winter LH route which was supposed to be temporary (and averages one broken leg per year) and I will try something else next time.

I did climb Monroe from the cog back when the ski train was operating and thought the drive in was scary with blowing drifted snow, so that side's not guaranteed to be easy either.

I'll toss this out since it seems appropriate to the general info on hiking Washington, if not to the special questions raised by the poll -

Last April a friend and I did Washington/Monroe via Ammo, and intended to use Jewell as the downroute. As we began the descent, working our way past the Cog, we became aware that skiers were using both the upper and lower slopes around the Cog for their descent (as ascent), as there was still good cover except for the last few hundred yards near the base station at the bottom. So, we looked at each other and said "If they can ski it, we certainly should be able to hike it".

For those of you who've read the lore surrounding using the Cog as a downroute, you're aware of numerous misadventures, and even a few deaths, over the years. However, there was a recent construction project, burying cables beside the Cog, and was backfilled to create a reasonably good road, expecially when it was covered with snow.

So ... we proceeded down, regularly crossing under the Cog to find the best route. As you might imagine, it was a fast down climb. Would I recommend it as a regular hiking route, in either direction? No, not at all. Compared to the trails, it's steep, and doesn't have the views nor ambiance of the other approaches. But, as an emergency down route - absolutely. Under those conditions I would take it, without hesitation, in bad weather.