(poll) Treking poles: your favorite brand?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Current Favorite Brand of hiking/treking poles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
leki's are what i have, but i've heard that the REI brand are good, too.

Predictable??

So far, it looks like Leki first, K's 2nd and BDiamond 3rd. Surprising "other" category has 5 votes. Not sure what they are? Looked at some Leki's this AM in Dick's but clerk couldn't help and a little pricey. Plan to make the retail run to REI, and 2 other local BP shops and wrap it up when there is time next week. Thanks guys good info. If that doesn't work, guess I'll buy over the internet.

I'll bet you a heap of pancakes that marketing and the number of stores that carry each brand has something to do with the results...

it would also be useful to know the results from people who have used multiple brands.

That being said, I like both Lekis and BDs but have favored the BDs for the reason I listed somewhere way above.

spencer

I use a pair of Cascade Designs Staff Walkers. They use a button locking system rather than the twist lock. There is NO anti-shock (whoo-hoo), and there is not grip. Instead, they have a wooden knob on the top. Since the knob unscrews easily, the poles double as a mono-pod for my camera. I have been using these poles for several years and I loves them. My Leki's and EMS poles stay in the closet most of the time.

Komp's

I have a pair of Komperdell P3's that I got from the dump and fixed. They don't have the anti-shock apparatus in them, which I like, and I can't imagine leaving for a hike without them. They have saved me more times than I can count, and should they break I'll either fix them or replace them with something similar.

Cheapiesss

My first hiking poles where thin limbs carved by my brother-in-law. I loved them, although they where some what heavy.

My second pair where purple ski poles that I bought used from a rental shop in N. Conway. I got them for $5! They served me well until I took a fall and the poles acted as make shift ice axes. Long story short one was bent in half and the other was missing. I miss those old poles:(

I went 3 seasons without then I purchased a pair at either Wal-Mart of Target I really don't remember. Compared to my old hiking sticks they are a lot lighter so they don't bother me. I fell in love with them and have used them for about a season now. I think they costed something like $20 for the pair.

Oh ya I can never forget my most hardcore hiking poles... Pry bars that where so heavy I think my arms are perminatly 3 inches longer than before that trail crew year.

Last edited:
Update

Thanks for good info guys. Could only find Leki here in the shops in Chicago shops. No BD or KDell. Didn't like the A/S adjustment on the Leki's. Did see REI brand w same issue. To minimize my risk, ordered (surprise!)a set of Masters KS w cork handles, A/S, collapses to 24" (for the trip to N.H.)and well under $100. We'll see. Hate to buy "in the blind" but unless you like Leki's, You're OL here in the Midwest! Thanks for input. I'll let you know. Jerry

I've always favored Leki's and their life time warranty is tough to beat. I've broken a pole or 2 in my time and their customer service folks have been excellent in replacing the damaged poles. I wasn't happy with their titanium poles though because I was constantly tightnening them to prevent premature collapsing. I bought them at REI and returned them. They had a limited stock of Leki's so I swapped for REI Komperdells. I've been as happy with them as well as the Leki's, and I've smashed them as well. Like Leki, REI's return policy is excellent.

Leki

I bought a pair of Lekis this year and quite like them. One improvement I thought may be worthwhile would be to have a 15 to 30 degree angle on the handle to put less stress between thumb and forefinger.
I didn't know if this existed but after a bit of googleing found that it does. Leki make a pair with a 15 degree angle. Does anyone own a pair? Comments please!

The angled grip is available in poles for generally more $. When I bought my Masters poles last week, they also had a KP model w angled Rubber grip, A/S and under $70!! I opted for the cork grip so could not get the angled grip. Leki has several models with that feature...It makes sense, I thimk.