Pondbaggers List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a terrific idea you've floated. It could be a resource paddlers can draw upon. What geographic area(s) would you like to tie down and how much detail would you include in the list?

As with hiking, I have a preference for new destinations and routes so such lists would be useful to me. I have a preference for New England and Florida and specifically wilder and less developed areas. There is no shortage of resources for these areas but lists which feature specific attractions would be helpful with references to the best resources and maps.

Some examples include:

Paddles with abundant wildlife
Paddles with good campsites
Paddle access to interesting dayhikes
Paddles with history

... I seek out all ... simultaneously if possible ...

Cool idea.

When I first got my kayaks from my father up here in NH, I went off to different small ponds all around the greater Pemi Valley. Coupling the small ponds, with the more popular larger lakes in the region like Squam, Newfound, Waukewan, White Oak, and Winona gave me a good tour of what our area had to offer. (Lake Winnipesaukee too, but I haven't paddled there yet.)

Some examples of the smaller ponds would be; Upper and Lower Hall Ponds, Kiah Pond, Elbow Pond, Russell Pond, Bog Pond, Perch Pond, Echo and Profile Lakes, Stinson Lake, Ellsworth Pond, Campton Pond, Loon Lake, Long Pond, Lake Tarleton, Lake Armington, and Spectacle Pond. Some were more rewarding than others, all enjoyable in their own way.

Not a pond, but a paddle on the Pemi from the rail trestle @ Exit 31 to Blair Bridge is also a great trip. Cross Road to Blair is also a shorter option.

Last edited:
Wow, your ideas are more interesting ideas than mine. As I had conceived the list, I was trying to come up with a paddlers equivalent to peakbaggers "tapping the cairn."

But certainly much of this information is out there, and it could be drawn upon.

From my own perspective, I would like to avoid places like Mascoma Lake and Winnipesaukee due to the large powerboat population.

Last edited:
Wow, your ideas are more interesting ideas than mine. As I had conceived the list, I was trying to come up with a paddlers equivalent to peakbaggers "tapping the cairn."

But certainly much of this information is out there, and it could be drawn upon.

From my own perspective, I would like to avoid places like Mascoma Lake and Winnipesaukee due to the large powerboat population.

Agreed. That is probably why I haven't hit Winni. A few of those I listed are close by and could be done in the same day. For example, Armington and Tarleton are neighbors and good sized water bodies. Lake Katherine is also right there, so maybe the trio in a day.

So, an example one goal on the list would be, say "Paddle from put in X to point X and back on Squam Lake?"

Nice list.

I like to paddle different places and often use the AMCs Quiet Water and River guides much like a "list".

A few questions:

1. Are you proposing a collaboration here to create such lists or are you planning to do this and would like our feedback?

2. You initially mentioned regional or state lists. Do you have some geographic boundaries in mind? In New England, a breakdown by state might be appropriate and, if the ADK list is a model, a patch for each could be well deserved. I expect there would be no shortage of clubs or outfitters to sign on as "sponsors" in any of the states.

3. There seems to be a choice between a comprehensive list in a small geographical area or a screened list (that requires some consensus on the parameters) over a large geographic area, like a state. Which way were you thinking?

4. The question that helps drive the answers to all others is, what is the purpose or goals of such a list(s)? The benefits I see are that they offer ideas for new places to paddle (which I found to be a big part of the joy of the N.E. 100 Highest), can contribute to public education and support related to conservation of natural resources, is supportive of local eco-tourism efforts and the associated economic benefit and the dispersal of paddlers in order to minimize concentration in fewer areas.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Nice list.

I like to paddle different places and often use the AMCs Quiet Water and River guides much like a "list".

A few questions:

1. Are you proposing a collaboration here to create such lists or are you planning to do this and would like our feedback?

2. You initially mentioned regional or state lists. Do you have some geographic boundaries in mind? In New England, a breakdown by state might be appropriate and, if the ADK list is a model, a patch for each could be well deserved. I expect there would be no shortage of clubs or outfitters to sign on as "sponsors" in any of the states.

3. There seems to be a choice between a comprehensive list in a small geographical area or a screened list (that requires some consensus on the parameters) over a large geographic area, like a state. Which way were you thinking?

4. The question that helps drive the answers to all others is, what is the purpose or goals of such a list(s)? The benefits I see are that they offer ideas for new places to paddle (which I found to be a big part of the joy of the N.E. 100 Highest), can contribute to public education and support related to conservation of natural resources, is supportive of local eco-tourism efforts and the associated economic benefit and the dispersal of paddlers in order to minimize concentration in fewer areas.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Frankly, your questions are more organized and thought out than my ideas. I'll address your questions in order.

1.) A collaboration would suit me just fine as I am relatively new to kayaking. I engaged in paddle sports as a Boy Scout, but that was about forty years ago.

2.) + 3.) I have kayaked a dozen times on Squam Lake, NH this past summer and said to myself: "How could I have been missing something this great, this close, for so long? I have purchased some nice books that are well written and could be used as a database to fit into the "List Mentality" that I have grown comfortable with over the years. I think a "state by state" and/or regional list would be great and attract attention and allegance. Peak baggers tend to like patches but perhaps stickers that could be applied to hulls might be better for paddlers.

A New Hampshire 50 finest, as well as other state lists would be good. As well as a New England and Northeast list would fit in well with the thought process of folks that frequent this and other popular hiking bulletin boards.

4.) Concur, well said!

I have been working on the New Hampshire list and will post it for critique here soon. In the mean time let me know of any place you think might be a "must include" body of water.