Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge/Walkway, DIY Cable TV program

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Schaefer

Reaction score
Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue L
The DIY (Do It Yourself) Cable Station's "Project Xtreme" program will air a 30 minute episode on the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge Walkway project tonight with a repeat next week:
Tuesday May 19, 10pm with a repeat at 2am (Wednesday)
Tuesday May 26, 10pm with a repeat at 2am (Wednesday) although the article below states Wednesday May 26.
Additional information on the DIY episode is in this Poughkeepsie Journal article. I am not sure whether the Railroad Bridge is the sole subject of the episode or just one segment.

When it was built in 1888, the 6,767' long bridge was the longest bridge in the world. The new pedestrian decking of the bridge began in earnest last autumn. The project is on schedule for an October 2, 2009 opening as the "world's longest high-altitude walkway". Additional information on the walkway project can be found on the Walkway Over the Hudson organization's website. The project has been in the planning stages for a long time, and it has been nice seeing it finally coming to completion. The walkway will ultimately link several rail trails on both side of the Hudson River, and it will interconnect with trails to several area parks and nature preserves such as the Franny Reese Preserve State Park.

I searched in vain last night for this show. Guess I should have used the internet! DOH!
On the Time Warner cable system in Kingston, NY, DIY is on channel 142 (which I have as part of the standard digital package). I am not sure if you are on the same Time Warner system. The DIY website does indicate that the "Hudson Pedestrian Bridge" will air again on Tuesday May 26 at 10pm and 2am (Wednesday) . That is the same Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge Walkway episode which aired last night. I noticed that my online programming guide for next Tuesday shows another program in the 10pm slot on DIY - which might be an error. I can't yet see the 2am slot for next Wednesday as I can only download the programming guide for the current 7 days. The DIY website has a few Project Xtreme episodes available for online viewing, but this episode does not appear to be among them.

The Poughkeepsie Railroad bridge did occupy the entire episode and offered some good video photography on the bridge. I found it fairly good as cable shows go. The bridge walkway is going to be awesome.

Oh that is awesome! I think MJ and I will be down for the ribbon cutting ceremony -- this certainly is a project that we've been long awaiting!
:)
I have heard some predictions that the opening weekend of (October 2-4, 2009) might be very crowded; the walkway organization is predicting up to 10,000 people. There will be fireworks one night (I believe Saturday) along with other events in Poughkeepsie. It is part of a year long series of Hudson / Champlain Quadricentennial celebrations. It should be a good experience despite the crowds.

I have heard some predictions that the opening weekend of (October 2-4, 2009) might be very crowded; the walkway organization is predicting up to 10,000 people. There will be fireworks one night (I believe Saturday) along with other events in Poughkeepsie. It is part of a year long series of Hudson / Champlain Quadricentennial celebrations. It should be a good experience despite the crowds.
We've signed up for the ceremonies that weekend. Sounds like we might have to walk a long way to walk! :D

I hope they don't try to fit 10,000 people on that bridge... Maybe we can kayak to the ceremony.. I've gone under that bridge before in my 'yak. it's quite tall!

Jay

Another '400' related activity:

http://www.grandwalkabout.com/

They have walks going on all the time, including hikes in the Catskills, one of which we are leading, Saturday May 30, to Balsam Lake Mountain.

They also have scavenger hunts, and geocaching.

Something for everyone! :D

So awesome!
But I do feel the need to wait for the excitement to die down so that we can bike across it without having to mow down a few hundred pedestrians. :D

[EDITED]
Oooh! "Lanes will separate walkers from bicyclists and rollerbladers."

Last edited:
So awesome!
But I do feel the need to wait for the excitement to die down so that we can bike across it without having to mow down a few hundred pedestrians. :D

[EDITED]
Oooh! "Lanes will separate walkers from bicyclists and rollerbladers."
I doubt they will be more than 'lanes' of paint, if the Brooklyn Bridge is any guide! :D