Prescribed fires this week in WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
It's raining in the WMNF tonight but presumably the ultra-dry conditions this week have postponed the USFS prescribed burns in the WMNF. This a new one to me, I must say. As an abutter to WMNF for 30 yrs., it's a little scary to have turned up this info while googling something else. I'm glad to have read about it before I worried about smoke. From the Berlin Daily Sun of April 18, 2005:

Controlled fire prescribed for White Mountain National Forest

— Spring burning in the White Mountain National Forest will begin this week as ground and weather conditions become right for safe and effective burning. Don Muise, a Zone Fire Management Officer with the national forest, is keeping a close eye on the weather and moisture levels in the various sites around the forest.
“We have a site-specific burn plan for each area that describes the exact parameters and conditions we need before we’ll ignite a fire. We wait for the right wind, weather, and moisture levels that will allow us to burn safely. The burn plans also spell out all the details for the kinds of equipment and the number of trained firefighters needed at the site, and spells out coordination procedures with local fire departments.”
The Forest Service plans to burn areas in the New Hampshire towns of Chatham, Livermore, Albany, Easton, Milan, Berlin, and Lancaster. Burning in Maine is planned for Stoneham, Albany, Gilead, Mason, and Batchelders Grant.
The burn sites range from 2-14 acres in size. A total of about 81 acres of the 780,000-acre national forest planned for burning this spring.
Prescribed fire is a management tool used to maintain wildlife openings in the forest to provide grassy meadows or shrubby areas – essential habitat for some forest dwellers. Wildlife openings add to the diversity and complexity of habitat in the national forest.
“Periodic burning of these sites helps to maintain the open habitat for feeding, nesting, and cover for many wildlife species,” says Lesley Rowse, Forest Service Wildlife Biologist.
Burning is also used to reduce the amount of accumulated forest fuels such as dead leaves, brush, and wood, reducing the potential for a wildfire. Prescribed fire can also prepare a seedbed on the forest floor for regeneration of certain tree species such as oak and pine. The burns are ignited and controlled by wildland firefighters with up-to-date training and gear. Firefighters stay prepared for assignments here and out west if needed for wildfire suppression.
Muise notes that the burn sites are mostly well away from populated areas and will cause little if any inconvenience to national forest visitors. For more information call your local White Mountain National Forest Ranger Station.

I once walked through a burn site and picked up the trash (flare shells) left behind by the FS :(

Other than that, it's a good idea, IMHO.

How did fires go?

I was just watching a NOVA special on wild fires and prescibed fires called Fire Wars. It was very educational. The had a large part of the special dedicated to the tragic events that took place on Fire King Mountain in Glenwood Springs, CO.

I am very curious now to know how the prescribed fires went in the WMNF. If anyone has any pictures or info please post, thanks...

I tried to call USFS to find out when & where but had no luck. I suspect (hope) that they were postponed. The first part of the week was tinder dry with high fire danger, and I don't think anyone could have responsibly prescribed fires then. All weekend has been rain, which will go on for a few more days.