Presidential Undercast, 11/15/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is WOW...and thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, without internet at home I can't post any of mine from Sunday. We did little haystack, Lincoln, and Lafayette...drizzle all the way up...heavy (and WET) mist all along the ridge. BUT...the clouds and fog broke just as we started from Lafayette to the hut...AWESOME!!!

You're pictures allow me to have some of these beautiful shots here at work too...

Yesterday's visit to the Presidentials was undertaken strictly as a peakbagging mission. The weather forecast called for fog and drizzle, and we were wholly expecting to be stuck in a cloud for the majority of our hike.

Interestingly, when we hit little haystack...and for our entire trip to Lafayette...we were completely socked in...but not so much that we couldn't tell where the trail was. We could see quite nicely the trail. I think it was ALMOST (ok...maybe just a little of an almost) a good thing that my first time on Franconia Ridge was in the clouds like that. That trail is AMAZING even without the views: the flora, the rock formations (we sware we saw about 5 different faces in these formations), the little caves and overhangs; absolutely worth it even without any views at all!! Heck, I bet if we had had the views Franconia is so famous for, we wouldn't have noticed how neat the actual TRAIL was...something that is often overlooked wouldn't you say?

Awesome photos as usual, Larisa. Sunday was an incredible day in the pressies.Was up there runnin with Farmer and Youngblood. Too bad we missed you.

Thank you to all for the kind words! As many of you know, I'm out hiking almost every weekend... and I can count the number of days I've seen undercast on one hand. It truly is one of the most beautiful things that I've ever witnessed in the mountains. Walking above the clouds... just wonderful. :)

...and to think that I was considering leaving my camera behind! :eek:

Heck, I bet if we had had the views Franconia is so famous for, we wouldn't have noticed how neat the actual TRAIL was...something that is often overlooked wouldn't you say?

Yes, a thousand times, yes!!!

LRiz, thanks for posting these beautiful images. For those who are looking, these trails are never the same twice. And don't you ever dare hike without your camera :eek:

happy trails :)

Awesome photos as usual, Larisa. Sunday was an incredible day in the pressies.Was up there runnin with Farmer and Youngblood. Too bad we missed you.

Ha! I was assuming that LRiz was running with the gang AND taking super photos. :D

I really like the shot of the Great Gulf, which I imagine it to have looked like when the Presi's came through the last deglaciation as nunataks. The Presi's are definitely one of my stops if I can ever get my Wayback Machine kicked in for about 14,000 years ago.

I have lucked out seeing more than my share of undercasts from the summit when teaching Edu-trips for the MWO; pretty tough to top that exhilarating feeling in the mountains.