presidentials+ July

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Rex

Reaction score
Long Island, NY Avatar: Norther Terminus LT C
hey there everybody.. T-Rex here.. I am so itchin to take off into the Mountains for a 3+ week excursion beginning the end of June.. my last long walk was the Long Trail in july '02 (BOHICA TRIBE). .. completed in about 25 days (10- 15 miles/day), i found the trail to be convenient, for the most part, in the way of retreiving food and supplies along the way.. Although I have hiked in and around the Presidentials, I am uncertain as to the frequency of huts, availability or proximity to food,etc. in the context of a prolonged through-hike.. also where to begin exactly?? Crawford Notch?? thank you for your replies and suggestions..
T-Rex BOHICA!! :)

Well, I am no expert on this compared to others here but at your speeds I would think you could complete the White MOuntains AT in three weeks. Assuming you are going south to north, saving the Presis for nearly last you would make it to Lonesome Lake Hut on day 2 and there is a store at Lafayette Place too. If you can eat at the huts you could take care of a lot of your dinners and breakfasts (but you are supposed to be a guest and it gets $$)...you can always purchase snacks.
Resupplying in NH is available for snacks at all of the huts which are about a day apart (or less) and other food could be bought at Crawford Notch, the top of Mount Washington and at Lowe's store.
Others will offer more advice...

sapblatt said:
Well, I am no expert on this compared to others here but at your speeds I would think you could complete the White MOuntains AT in three weeks.
I think that's way long for your speed, I'd say closer to 2 weeks for the classic White Mountain AT section. I've hiked all of the NH AT and about 3/4 of the LT.

The AT through the Presidentials (Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch) will take you about 3 days - 4 at the most, even if you climb all the 4Ks nearby AND pass every white blaze.

I might consider the classic WMNF AT section to run from Glencliff to Rt 2 Shelburn. This gets you over/past all of the WMNF 4Ks along the AT route, and is certainly what makes New Hampshire so impressive as an AT destination.

To hike the whole of the "White Mountains" AT, you might extend your trip up through the Mahoosucs, ending at Grafton Notch, ME.

What I might suggest, though, since you have a lot of time, is aim for the whole of New Hampshire, starting down at Ledyard Bridge and the Vermont border in Hanover, and taking out at Carlo Col, just past the Maine border, 161 AT miles or so. Even averaging 10 miles per day, that's still well under 3 weeks. You get a nice warm up from Hanover to Moosilauke too. Note that in the toughest of the White Mountain sections your mileage may be as low as 1/2 that of the easiest Hanover - Glencliff miles, but if you can average 10-15 on the LT you should have no problem. My 70 y.o. father hiked it in under 3 weeks (including some longish car spots), so there you go.

If that doesn't seem long enough for you, you could extend my suggestion forward to Grafton Notch (as above) and/or start further back at Maine Junction in Vermont, giving you a longer "warm-up" and making Hanover a major resupply stop.

I would not recommend depending on substantial resupply at "stores" at the Lafayette Place, AMC huts, Mt. Washington, Pinkham Notch or the like. I think you'd find the selection very limited and the prices prohibitive if you are really looking for many Calories. Pinkham does have a nice AYCE breakfast, however. The usual big resupply stops are Lincoln/N. Woodstock and Gorham, both pretty convenient to the trail.

You best trail resource is going to be the ATC NH/VT guide and map set, though you might also want to look at the Online Companion for road crossings and their resupply resources.

I do hope that helps . . .

Last edited:
super advice..

Tramper Al/sapblatt,
First and foremost I thank you for your sound advice and thorough reply.. You know the area and your wealth of information was exactly the stuff i was lookin' for. I have climbed 7 :rolleyes: of the 4Ks in New England and would much like to incorporate as many as reasonably possible while completing The NH AT inside a month. I will certainly consult with the Companion and I am extremely interested in the mentioned ATC NH/VT guide and map set.. sounds like a winner.. and as far as pickup points to provide for my immense mountain appetite ;) Im very sure that along with your help and that of the Companion, I will surely not starve.. Again thank you for your help.. I joined only a week or so ago and Im sure glad i did.. It's very nice to be in touch with people of such an epic interest as hiking.. and there are also members who I can see will feed my aspirations of larger scale mountaineering.. I will add both of you to my Buddies for sure. It is my intent to really experience the Whites this year and I hope that your excursions are successful.. thanks again. -T-Rex

Last edited:
I just wanted to add since you are also interested in some peakbagging. You might want to make a two night stand at Galehead Hut and take in Owls Head from the north or consider going from Galehead Hut to include North Twin then all three Bonds and stay at Guyot Campsite after visiting them. Then the next day you would go over past Zealand and you should have time to include Hale on your trek to Zealand Hut. Flume & Liberty are two other 4,000 footers you should easily pick up between Lonesome Lake & Greenleaf. Not exactly on the trail but 3 miles roundtrip (and not difficult walking) from the AT and worth bagging en route. So consider these excursions in your plans.