Question on Campgrounds in the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yan

Reaction score
Looking for info on either Cranberry Lake campground or Highley Flow State Park. Any cons or pros for either? Or may be you can recommend another campground in the Tupper Lake - Saranac Lake area?

Thanks,
Yan

------------------------

I guess I should've given more info. We want (ideally) a waterfront site with car access and good privacy. No ambitios hikes are planned as we'll have a small baby with us.

Last edited:
Without knowing exactly what you want it is hard to give a recommendation. That being said, I would look to Rollins Pond. It is closer to Saranac Lake, and the High Peaks area then the two you mentioned. It also provides easy access to the St. Regis Canoe Area. Most of the sites are on the water, and are well screened from each other.

WBB said:
Without knowing exactly what you want it is hard to give a recommendation. That being said, I would look to Rollins Pond. It is closer to Saranac Lake, and the High Peaks area then the two you mentioned. It also provides easy access to the St. Regis Canoe Area. Most of the sites are on the water, and are well screened from each other.

Thanks! We were considering this campground - I guess it's just moved up on the list :)

As far as location is concerned, Rollins Pond is your best bet. There are plenty of waterfront sites, most nicely separated. My one (minor) objection to the place is that access is only by a long drive through Fish Creek Campground- it seems to take forever.

Buck Pond, further from Tupper Lake but a little closer to Saranac, has a handful of waterfront sites, and they are all very nicely screened. Cranberry Lake is wonderful, but figure on about 40 minutes to Tupper, an hour or more to Saranac.

oswegatchie said:
As far as location is concerned, Rollins Pond is your best bet. There are plenty of waterfront sites, most nicely separated. My one (minor) objection to the place is that access is only by a long drive through Fish Creek Campground- it seems to take forever.

Buck Pond, further from Tupper Lake but a little closer to Saranac, has a handful of waterfront sites, and they are all very nicely screened. Cranberry Lake is wonderful, but figure on about 40 minutes to Tupper, an hour or more to Saranac.

Thanks a lot! Cranberry Lake is actually closer for us as we live near Ottawa, ON and will be coming from NW (Ogdensburg - Colton)

Yan

Another thing to consider is that Cranberry Lake is open to power boats-it's a BIG lake. I've hiked out through the campground but never stayd there. Nice campground and family oriented from what the caretaker told me. Maybe someone could give information about power boats and Rollins and Buck Ponds.

We go to Rollins Pond every year :) . Fish Creek Pond Campground lies on Fish Creek Pond and Square Pond, which are connected to Upper Saranac Lake, allowing just about any power boat to gain access.

Rollins is a much quieter place, and although you may see a small power fishing boat or two on Rollins, there is a limit of 25HP. If you're a paddler, you can launch from your campsite and paddle a loop through several beautiful ponds :p , returning to your site after just a couple of short carries.

If you go between May 19 and mid-June (except Memorial Day weekend), you should find most of the 240 sites available, with all the facilities open and very clean.

Rollins Pond campground is open from May 19 through September 3, 2006.

For reservations: http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ny/roll/newindex.html

oswegatchie said:

What about Fish Creek Campground itself - is it not too good? Too close to the highway?

Fish Creek Campground is also a beautiful place. It seems to have more families with children there, and also has more facilities available for kids, including an amphitheatre for presentations, and playground (I seem to remember). It's a much busier place than Rollins. The highway is not a factor, as it's not a major route and is far enough away from most of the sites.

Yan,
I don't recall any canoe rentals there. You can rent from St. Regis Canoe Outfitters that has two outlets: in Saranac Lake Village, and just north of the campground on Floodwood Pond Road. Floodwood Pond is immediately north of Rollins Pond; the two ponds are connected by a short creek.

AlG said:
Yan,
I don't recall any canoe rentals there. You can rent from St. Regis Canoe Outfitters that has two outlets: in Saranac Lake Village, and just north of the campground on Floodwood Pond Road. Floodwood Pond is immediately north of Rollins Pond; the two ponds are connected by a short creek.
You can also rent from Brian (Mac) and Grace at Macs Canoe Livery in Lake Clear.

You can also rent canoes, kayaks, and row boats right in the campground at a location on Rollins Pond. It looks privately owned but has several boats to choose from.

You can rent canoes at the boat launch at Rollins Pond. They are mostly alum. If you need something lighter St Regis at the end of Floodwood road would be the best bet. One of the biggest differences between Rollins and Fish Creek is the limit on motor size for boats. Fish Creek allows unlimited horsepower, Rollins is limited to, I thick, to 15hps. There are a lot less power boats on Rollins. Given the choice between these two Rollins wins hands down.
If you want to canoe a nice easy trip is the loop from Rollins – Floodwood –Little Square- Whey- Rollins. This is an half day trip for a family, with easy carries.

Fish Creek

Fish Creek campground is definitely busier than Rollins. Last time we stayed there, a guy with a truck drove around the campground and rented canoes to the campers. Every evening "Santa Claus" did a couple of loops around the pond on water skis (really!). Lots of fun for the kids to watch.

Pat T

Someone in another forum recommended me Meacham Lake Campground a bit further up highway 30. Anyone can help me decide between that one and Rollins Pond?

Thanks
Yan

Yan said:
Someone in another forum recommended me Meacham Lake Campground a bit further up highway 30. Anyone can help me decide between that one and Rollins Pond?
I've stayed at both. It depends on what you are looking for. Mecham Lake is a good half hour drive up the road. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Do you want to use the campground as a base camp, and drive to other places? If yes, where?

Do you want to be on the water?

Do you want A quiet campground? I found some relatively quiet (away from water) sites at Mecham. Sites were large and far from neighbor's site (but not near water)

Pete_Hickey said:
I've stayed at both. It depends on what you are looking for. Mecham Lake is a good half hour drive up the road. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Do you want to use the campground as a base camp, and drive to other places? If yes, where?

Do you want to be on the water?

Do you want A quiet campground? I found some relatively quiet (away from water) sites at Mecham. Sites were large and far from neighbor's site (but not near water)

We are looking for a quiet campground, waterfront site, lake where you can canoe safely with little kids, that kind of thing. Not really planning to do any serios hiking, may be a smaller mountain in the area, as we'll have a baby with us. I mean we would've gone to a park in Ontario but we are planning to do that on Canada Day and all better ones are already fully booked.

As far as driving Mecham Lake seems to be even closer as we'll be coming from Ottawa. But looking at the map the Mecham Lake seems to be larger which is not good.

Last edited: