Questions about Avalanche Pass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

Reaction score
This is our first year hiking, (5 people ages 11-67) and we want to get one more in next weekend while the leaves are pretty, but are a bit wary of tackling a high peak at this time of year. So far we've done Cascade, Porter and Algonquin. I have heard varying reports on the difficulty of the trail from the Loj to Avalanche Lake. We'd sure like to check out the Hitchup Matildas, they sound fun.
Is the scrambling in Avalanche Pass very difficult? Grandma could only make it to the Wright/Algonquin junction but had no problem with Cascade/Porter. I imagine that the only viable return route to the Loj is the way we came in (we're strictly day-hikers right now), but perhaps there is another option I don't see. I am also open to a high peak with an easy escape route should the weather turn foul.
Thanks in advance... I have been greatly helped by reading reports here in the past and am so glad I've found this wonderful pastime.

Peace.... Sully

Sully, that's a tough one. The trail from the Loj to Av. Lake is very straight forward, and well maintained. From the north end of AL to the Hitchups does require some rock scrambling, and the HM's are toward the southern end of the lake. But even if Gram can't do the scramble, it's still worth the trip to the north end of AL. The view from that end is still stupendous, the only thing you can't see from that end is the Trap Dike. At the top of Av. Pass, there is the 1999 landslide, which the trail winds through, and that is worth the trip by itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gram didn't even notice the rock scramble, due to the views all around her! Have fun!

And, I am positive that IF Grandma decided to sit at the end of the lake for an hour or so while your crew went to the other end and back, she would absolutely enjoy herself soaking in the views and the colors and enjoying a thermos of tea or cocoa.

I think the hike through Avalanche pass is a wonderful hike, but if she did make it up to W/A Junction, She could probably make it to the matildas.

PS up and back isn;t bad, simply because everything looks different even on the same trail on that way back!! :)
good Luck
Rick

Sully said:
This is our first year hiking, (5 people ages 11-67) and we want to get one more in next weekend while the leaves are pretty, but are a bit wary of tackling a high peak at this time of year. So far we've done Cascade, Porter and Algonquin. I have heard varying reports on the difficulty of the trail from the Loj to Avalanche Lake. We'd sure like to check out the Hitchup Matildas, they sound fun.
Is the scrambling in Avalanche Pass very difficult? Grandma could only make it to the Wright/Algonquin junction but had no problem with Cascade/Porter. I imagine that the only viable return route to the Loj is the way we came in (we're strictly day-hikers right now), but perhaps there is another option I don't see. I am also open to a high peak with an easy escape route should the weather turn foul.
Thanks in advance... I have been greatly helped by reading reports here in the past and am so glad I've found this wonderful pastime.

Peace.... Sully

As you sort of alluded to, the temps can be freezing, and the conditions can be very slippery on the HM's, and other places. As the other folks said, the trail is not too tough (the first mile from the LT is the toughest), and I think the lake is at about 3200', so the climbing is really not that bad.

It's worth a trip anytime of the year. I've climbed Colden twice from that side, once in Winter and once in Summer, and it was spectacular!

Two alternatives that come to mind are Phelps, which is fairly close to the Dam, and Big Slide. For Big Slide, you go over the brothers first. At any time you don't feel like continuing, you can just turn around. Phelps is mostly in the trees, while Big Slide is very open a lot of the way. So Big Slide would offer more views, but Phelps would be more protected.

Good luck!

Give it a try while she can!

If it turns out she can make it then she will remember this hike forever. And that includes just getting to the north end of the Pass.

This area is so spectacular that I've planned several hikes to loop back through the Pass JUST so I can walk along Avalanche lake again.

Avalanche Pass is beautiful, even if you only go to the northern end of the lake. The Hitch Up Matilda area is fun and easy. The scrambling over the large rocks is fun--it's just up and down, no elevation gain--but could be tiring for a hiker who did not enjoy scrambling. You could stop at any time and turn around. I agree that it is very interesting to see the most recent avalanche and how the trail was literally cut through all the debris.

Another hike to consider at this time of year is The Brothers. The views start early on this trail (you start at the Garden) and you always have the option to turn around. A really nice hike would be to do 1st and 2nd Brothers. The longer hike is over all 3 Brothers to Big Slide. From the col between 3rd Brother and Big Slide you can travel down to the Johns Brook trail making a nice loop. The trail from 3rd Brother to Big Slide can be wet.

Another possibility for a mixed ability group would be the trail from New Russia to Rocky Peak Ridge. Blueberry Cobbles is a worthy destination and others could go further is they wanted.

Have a great hike.

Pat T

Thanks for all the great info you guys... We will definitely hike Avalanche Pass next then. Your input is much appreciated, I think we know more what to expect. Thanks for the ideas about alternatives too. Big Slide was a thought, but having done Porter last I figured a different viewpoint would be cool this time.
Rick: You're absolutely right- Grandma wouldn't mind sitting there a bit... she bantered with quite a few folks in the 2 hours she waited lurking in the trees just above the Wright Jct. on Algonquin while we stumbled to the top and back.
If I can find this thread when I come back, I'll let ya'll know how it was. (No rain please)

Peace- Sully