Rainer, Hood, Shasta, fall 2005??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now taking applications for any ''single, exotic, female'' to be on my rope team... :D :D ;)

God, this is going to be one sick trip if this pulls through.

As for arrival, I will be in Wrangell St. Elias the two weeks prior to July 30th but will be arriving in Seattle whenever we all decide to meet, hopefully somewhat close to you folks arrival time. I haven't book flights to Alaska yet but will most likely be doing so soon after contacting my friend in idaho who I go to Alaska with all the time. Damm, Wrangell St Elias, then to attempt Rainier/Hood... This is going to be one helluva year.

Jay

YEEHAW

PINCH! :) PINCH! :) PINCH! :)
For you and me daxs. I am really jazzed, especially since one of my working lists is the state highpoints. Rainier and Hood would give me two more!

I just made airline reservations. :D Delta has some pretty decent fares right now for anyone who's looking to reserve early.

I'm still planning on Mt. Wash on March 5 if anyone's into it....

And Thanxs again to Guiness for getting all this going!

I'm tentatively planning Mansfield on March 4th if anyone is up that way (Arm maybe?). No route planned yet, probably driving up the night before and sleeping in the car (I'm skiing with friends on 3/5-6)

I've scoped out my flight options for Rainier and will be booking in the next day or so. Anyone on the trip list from Mass will get an eMail from me outlining my plans.

SherpaKroto said:
I'm tentatively planning Mansfield on March 4th if anyone is up that way (Arm maybe?). No route planned yet, probably driving up the night before and sleeping in the car (I'm skiing with friends on 3/5-6)

I've scoped out my flight options for Rainier and will be booking in the next day or so. Anyone on the trip list from Mass will get an eMail from me outlining my plans.
Vermont? I have off that day -- I was planning on doing Dorset (2nd higest peak in the Taconics) that day but maybe Mansfield is a good idea. Last time I did Mansfield it was cloudy. Would you be interested in Camel's Hump?

-Dr. Wu

OK, I doubt very much I'll be making this. I'll be heading out there for a week or so at the beginning of September, looking at scramble routes the Alpine Lakes and northern cascades.

However if there's any NE get togethers previous to the trip, I'd love to participate. Especially towards the end of winter the ADK slides should provide some decent class 3-4 routes (north face of Gothics?).

I'll be filling out the form regardless s I may be able to get out to the NW for a brief visit about then but it's doubtful.

how does this sound for the mass/RI folks??

to get together on a few weekends in may/june - practice anything we can locally. I am thinking, rope techniques, simulate anchor and recuses - if people don't know how to tie in, knots, etc... get them up to speed as much as possible - before we get to camp muir.

I have a book education on glaicer travel - but thats it. - I do have basic ice climbing skills, so can help people there - I know we won't be ice climbing - but I can help people tie in, knots, basic rope skills, etc... I can also help with those who don't know how to properly use the axe and crampons. I see people in NH all the time, not using proper climbing methods. Its ok - if you never taken a basic mountainering class, you would just walk the same way you would on th street. Yo should probably know the french/american tech and the combination of the 2, swicth directions, etc.... Not saying anyone is in this boat, but if they are - I am offering to help. We could set somethin up locally on a moderate hill or something.

A weekend practicing in Tuck's in early May would be a blast. I'd be up for that. The more practice, the better for me. (Note: I wonder if the snowfields northwest of Adams 4 would be a good alternate spot to go for practice in early May? Anyone have any thoughts on this? It would be a lot easier to camp at Grey Knob or Crag Camp than Hermit Lake due to the height of the ski season. Anyone have any other thoughts?)

When/How are we going to pair up into teams? May sounds interesting in terms of a White mtns meet. I'm open to anything too in the ADKs which would be better.

With my father needing 4 weeks to recover from a triple bypass, I am NOT looking at being able to take a trip to the whites until at least April I think. But I might be able to swing some shorter ADK trips.. Obviously I would like to pair up with folks from the NY area as it would make getting to know and learn and practice so much easier for me than trying to pair up with folks from Boston/NH, points north.

Jay

Rainier - Sounds great!

I Just got back from a 4 day Mountaineering Seminar out in the Sierra Nevadas. (With AAI). An intensive course on winter camping, glacier travel and crevase rescue. (We also did 2 days of ice climbing - lots of fun - but not to applicable to Rainier. I've was on Mt. Rainier with RMI 2 years ago (Expedition Seminar), but weather stopped the summit attempt. Have also done the Grand Teton (Summer) and Kilimanjaro.

I'm psyched to try Rainier again. I checked the website and and I'll be forwarding all my info. How big will your rope teams be..3 to four would be about the right size. As soon as I know it's a go - I'll start checking flights. Anybody out there from the N.J./Pa area (Eastern PA--on the river).

Bruce

Warren said:
OK, I doubt very much I'll be making this. I'll be heading out there for a week or so at the beginning of September, looking at scramble routes the Alpine Lakes and northern cascades.
Hi Warren

I may be out there in September as well. I'm hoping to do South Sister and Black Butte (near Bend, Oregon) and then back to Portland and try again to bag Adams - all with my daughter. Let's keep in touch. See you next week at Banff.

Pb

It would be a lot easier to camp at Grey Knob or Crag Camp than Hermit Lake due to the height of the ski season. Anyone have any other thoughts?)

How about camping in the Gulf of Slides? It's possible to camp just below Boott Spur Link if there is enough snow.

Bruce - I am originally from Bethlehem PA but am in S Jersey now. I am flying out of Phila. IF you are interested I will pm you my flight schedule.

I would be interested in some training but will not be able to do anything before April.

the adams 4/sam adams snowfields that sherpa was refering to - would be perfect. I know exactly what he is thinking of. safe run out, moderate steepness, etc...

Like I mentioned - april is out for me due to baby - but mid to late may be doable. I can probably only commit to one NH thing in may.

What might not be a bad idea is a pressie traverse in late june. might not be alpine with snow, etc... but good training for the legs. I was was going to try a summer one in one push anyway (before rainier was planned)

May in the Whites sounds good to me. Another camping option might be Dolly Copp. It would require more hiking each day to get up to a "playground" but the camping area opens in mid-may. Until then the Barnes Field group camping area is open. Not the best option but one to add into the mix. Willey Slide could be another option with camping at Ethan Pond. How late into the Spring is the Harvard Cabin tenting area available?

JayH...I'm in New York and would be open to any short trips as well. I think it makes sense, at least for training purposes to link up geographically.

A Presi traverse sounds like a perfect training run. I'm up for it!

Teri, Sounds cool. I know I'll meet you up in Kingston for the Catskills dinner but perhaps sometime in March, we can get together for an ADK trip or so.. I hate to sound like a peakbagger, but I've haven't hiked in the ADKs that much (although I just did the 5 Dixes this weekend with Ed) so I'm open to a lot of ideas.

So for those in the NY area, perhaps a little get together sometime in the near future.

I'm up for a presi traverse later on too. I've done even less White Mtn peaks and none in the Presidentials.

Speaking of Glacier glasses:

STP link

Anything I should be looking for with glacier glasses other than the usual stuff. UV blocking, fit well, strong lenses?

I know Bolle makes decent glasses in general. How are these?

Jay