Reddington Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
So, I'm heading up to Maine for a week with Corenne and we want to get the 11 4000 footers outside of Baxter. I got all taken care of except the best approach to Reddington. I seem to remember taking a herd path from South Crocker, is that the best approach since I will be up there anyhow? Then we walked the logging roads back to the car, is that also best when parked on Caribou Valley Road? or should we go back up South Crocker and take the trail?

Second Question-
We are cheap and do not want to stay in a hotel. Is there some nice free tenting sites on Caribou Valley Road? Also some nice tent sites that might make a nice base camp for the Saddleback's and the Bigalow's?

Thanks for the help.

caribou valley road

if you take the road all the way to the top where caribou pond is you will find spots where you can tent in peace.

Here is a recent account of my Redington + Crockers loop - up the AT to South, out-and-back to North, and the herd path to Redington. The "gotcha" is that one of the few herd path branches comes to the AT corridor but does not continue. If you come to this situation, turn right and follow the corridor until you cross the herd path and then turn left to continue following it.

The first reply to this thread has some additional logistical information, more about the motel situation than camping, but you may find it helpful anyway.

If your vehicle can make it to Caribou Pond, you might simply do an up-and-back to Redington - with a good Jeep and good skills, you can drive even closer to the top. Certainly an ATV can get most of the way there.

Tim

Last edited:
Check out the White Wolf Inn. It's has cheap rates, but it's not a dive. We stayed there a few years ago.

As for the approach, you can do it either way. I did it from S. Crocker. To call it a whack is pretty sad. The herd path was well defined all the way.

I noticed some nice looking tent sites between the CVR and the river where the AT crosses.
-vegematic

I took the route from the pond last Friday and the going was ok in a 4x4 Ranger past the AT and up to the 5.5 mile bridge. This bridge is sketchy but not un-do-able, but you don't gain too much as opposed to the road conditon further along.

I was extremely impressed by the views on this approach/return and the really lush upland meadows and softwood forest in the "cut areas".

When we were there in July, the standard passenger cars, including Subarus were parked before the steel bridge. The 4x4/SUVs were parked at the AT crossing. Coming down from Sugarloaf the 2nd day on CVR, there was a couple in an old Jeep Wrangler with big tires out having fun beyond the AT crossing.

Tim

Spence,

A couple of months ago some old fool did all six of the area peaks in a day trip.

The route up the logging roads to Redington is well defined and marked. The herdpath from S. Crocker is grown-in in places and not logically laid out (lots of turns), but it will get you there.

I did the herd path from SC, and out via CVR to the car at the metal bridge. Since there was T-boomer going on when I hit R, I ziped over the top and didn't sign the log.

Does that mean I must re-do??

Anyhow, the herd path was a pain. Someone should mark it already.

I climbed Redington back in June on a very rainy day, so I didn't sign the log, either. I did have my friend snap a quick photo of me on top, I suppose that's enough "proof" that I was there.

Chris

I did the herd path from SC, and out via CVR to the car at the metal bridge. Since there was T-boomer going on when I hit R, I ziped over
the top and didn't sign the log. Does that mean I must re-do?? Anyhow, the herd path was a pain. Someone should mark it already.
What proof do you have you did any other peak? It's all a matter of honor.

As for marking it, I thought this was partly private property.

I did the herd path from SC, and out via CVR to the car at the metal bridge. Since there was T-boomer going on when I hit R, I ziped over the top and didn't sign the log.

Does that mean I must re-do??

Anyhow, the herd path was a pain. Someone should mark it already.

I climbed Redington back in June on a very rainy day, so I didn't sign the log, either. I did have my friend snap a quick photo of me on top, I suppose that's enough "proof" that I was there.

Chris

It is not necessary to sign it.
Like Tom said, "What proof do you have you did any other peak? It's all a matter of honor."

What proof do you have you did any other peak? It's all a matter of honor.

As for marking it, I thought this was partly private property.

It's personal honor, the people at work think your crazy for doing 10, especially if you do some in fall or winter, saying you did 48, 46, 67 of 115 won't change that. If you try lying about a summit you've never been on top of or a trail you've never walked to someone who's been, you'll only look foolish. Places like Allen, Esther, the back of Saddleback, Bondcliff, Fort, Katahdin, etc can't be lied about.

Last edited: