Refreshing: No cause, no sponsor, no record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little walk. So I walked to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd walk to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just walk across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I walked this far, maybe I'd just walk across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I walked clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I walked clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.

Very nice but how come he's on the internet?
By MARTHA IRVINE
AP National Writer
updated 5:31 a.m. ET, Thurs., May 27, 2010

I hate these saccharine reports.

This quote reeks:
"You just have to have faith in somebody sometimes," Green's dad says. "So we have faith in him."

In spite of my negative comments I think this is a cool treck.

In the early '70's a buddy and I did a 5-day bushwhack in Riding Mountain Park (it's in Manitoba, look it up on Wiki or Google it) which terminated with 20 miles of dirt road walking through remote farming country. We stopped for water at a very modest dwelling and ended up sharing lunch and spending hours in animated conversation.

Too bad that back then we couldn't splatter the experience all over the world wide web, or Twitter. Those humble folks might have had their Andy Warhol moment of fame.

Color me cynical, but I can't help but think there might be a book deal buried in there somewhere...

Ya, you betcha! ;)

You are so cynical that I colored you green.

While the positive, upbeat story--for a change--is appreciated, this guy's motives are nothing new. If you survey the thru-hikers (or section hikers, or whatever) on any given long-distance trail (or cross country route, or whatever), think you'd find that the majority are not doing it for a cause, a sponsor, or a record.

Do agree that walking makes a person happy. :)

EDIT!

Now he and Miriam find themselves watching each night for an e-mail that comes when their son pushes the "I'm OK" button on an emergency beacon that transmits his exact location by satellite.

He's 30 years old and needs to check in with mommy & daddy every night???

Last edited:
That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little walk. So I walked to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd walk to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just walk across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I walked this far, maybe I'd just walk across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I walked clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I walked clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.

Ayup, I think I'll go home now.

While the positive, upbeat story--for a change--is appreciated, this guy's motives are nothing new. If you survey the thru-hikers (or section hikers, or whatever) on any given long-distance trail (or cross country route, or whatever), think you'd find that the majority are not doing it for a cause, a sponsor, or a record.

Good point and I agree. It just seems like all the articles lately are about "something" other than the hike/walk/mountain and I thought this was pretty well written.

Do agree that walking makes a person happy. :)

Absolutely. And unfortunately I realize the lack thereof is a bit depressing.

EDIT!

He's 30 years old and needs to check in with mommy & daddy every night???

Unfortunate by-product of technology.

Thanks Chip. This is a refreshing story.

Walking for the sheer experience and joy of doing a long distance walk. It could be an adventure that will change his life in a very positive way. He obviously wasn't that enthralled with his previous career, or at the very least he needed a break.

Regardless of how old we get, we will always be our parents kids. Worrying is built into the contract.
I think it's kind of neat that his folks care and look forward to hearing from him. Given a choice I think would sooner have the caring version than the alternative. They can drive you nuts though.

I hope he does write a book. I loved Peter Jenkins book A Walk Across America. And this one looks good. A granny in her 90's doing the same! :)
http://www.amazon.com/Granny-Walkin...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275066440&sr=1-2