Reminder: Deer season starts tomorrow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Just a reminder that deer season (Firearms) starts tomorrow November 8, 2006. Hunting hours are between 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. Firearm season ends on December 3, 2006. Get your blaze orange clothing out for you and your dogs!

depends where you are

Mike,

Deer season (firearms) in New York State begins Nov. 18 in the Southern Zone. It began Oct. 21 in the Northern Zone.

But your point is well taken...I wear some orange even during bow season.

zeke

Zeke beat me to it, you need to specify where... Nov 18th is the deer (rifle) season in the catskills, NY with bear season on the 20th...

Jay

Mass and Maine

Here are what I understand are the laws in Mass. and Maine:

For Mass:
Archery season for deer goes through November 25.
Rifle season for deer runs from November 27 to December 9 in most zones.
Muzzle loader deer hunting runs from December 11 to December 30.
Hunting is not permitted on Sundays.

For Maine:
Rifle season for deer is ongoing now and runs through November 25.
Muzzle loader deer hunting runs from November 27 to December 2 or 9, depending on zone.
Hunting is not permitted on Sundays.

I definitely wear some orange in Mass. starting in mid-October through New Year's, except on Sundays. Have done this ever since a hunter in camo jumped out of the woods with rifle pointed at me once while I was mountain biking in mid-October. I do not hike in Mass. during rifle season, except on Sundays.

In Maine, I start wearing some orange in mid to late September.

Marty

In Rhode Island, all users of state management areas, including hikers, bikers, and horse back riders, are required to wear 200 square inches of floresent orange from the third saturday in October to the last day of February
A good policy anywhere.

There is no rifle season for deer in Mass. The season you list is for shotgun hunters--but I think your point that this time (Nov 27 - Dec 9 in most areas) is when most deer hunters are in the field is correct.

VT

Jay H said:
Zeke beat me to it, you need to specify where...

Jay you are right. I should have specified that my dates were for the state New Hampshire.

Locals, Please Advise

Well then, this is an area where those intimate with their back-country environments can help out:

Which peaks and trails see the greatest hunting pressure and traffic?

Obviously, one probably doesn't need much hunter orange on the Tuckerman's trails, but maybe the Mahoosucs (or Sentinels, or Catskills, or wherever) get a lot of hunters.

Locals, where would you be extra vigilant?

I have seen a lot of moose on the Wild River.

Thanks,

--M.

--M. said:
Locals, where would you be extra vigilant? --M.

In my local area, the southeastern White Mtns., there isn't very much deer hunting near hiking trails because there aren't many deer that high. The moose hunt is over, so you won't see many hunters in the area unless you hike low, for example Flat Mt. Pond.

On Bear Notch Rd., if you see hunters they are probably hunting bear with dogs. They only point a gun up a tree once the dogs have treed the bear. There are also a few bird hunters around the area. HTH.

Happy Trails :)

edit: hound hunting season ended on Nov. 7th.hunting seasons

Last edited:
A NH hunter was shot by a member of his own party on the very first day of the season.

Be careful out there!