Rescue helicopter encounter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for all of the answers and info. I can now file helicopter crash prevention and preparation right next to bear encounters and how to report trailhead break-ins.

I thought there might be some info, and wasn't let down. We have ground-to-air signals from all over the world, and some practical info in the event of helicopter attack.

For simple practicality, Dr. Wu's suggestion of imitating my avatar would deliver a universal, "this person clearly needs help, but not ours" message most effectively.

The perfect response was right under my nose, and I missed it.

As for the 'fool' comment in my original post - I can't help but wonder what the National Guard must think of the sanity of winter hikers they spot during SAR operations. I know despite preparation, that there will always be some level of risk, but I love it too much to quit. Maybe I'm just a hiking fool afterall.

I was not suggesting that any particular individual on this BBS is foolish enough to throw something at a helicopter, however this BBS can be read by anyone and there might be someone out there foolish enough to heed such a suggestion. (SAR-EMT40's comment on the reaction of the crew should be an indication of how wise it is.)

Let me also point out that not all helicopters are military helicopters designed to withstand battle conditions. No matter how robust the helicopter, a blade striking an object will send the object or its fragments off at a high velocity. There is also the problem of "foreign object digestion"--an object sucked into an engine can damage the engine. Crashes have been caused by this...

Doug

Chugach001 said:
Warning - years ago a guy starved to death in the Brooks Range. A rescue plane came by and he gave the European HELP signal which (as the story goes) is the North American OK signal. So the plane left and he eventually died.

This one reminds me of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoon where the lost individuals have stamped out the word " H E L F " in the snow, leading the helo pilots to comment "cancel that; the sign reads "helf." I refer to this cartoon when I try to convince my students that spelling matters.

Chugach001 said:
Two thoughts;

I was once high on summit when a pavehawk came in and hovered right near us. We had been benighted and knew the rescue was for us. We were fine but delayed but had no earthly idea how to communicate to the helicopter. Seems to me that they should have a loud speaker to give instructions - "Raise your hands if you are OK!".

Warning - years ago a guy starved to death in the Brooks Range. A rescue plane came by and he gave the European HELP signal which (as the story goes) is the North American OK signal. So the plane left and he eventually died.

I thank God I didn't see this before we went to the Brooks this year. We did have a lot of jokes and comments about wintering there since we were so dependent on the plane operator. Conversation w/ the pilot:

"Do we need a sat phone?"
"No"
"How will you let us know if you are late?"
"I'll be there Tuesday. If the weather's crappy, I'll be there Wednesday. If I show up, and you aren't there, have a nice walk."

We were there ready and waiting.

Chugach001 said:
This sounded like an item Snopes might debunk, but it's true. He did signal incorrectly. This guys' mistake was not making a clear itinerary and exit plan. Also he waited too long to rescue himself.

Looking at Hand Signals; the paddlers sign for "I'm okay" is rubbing or tapping your head and for water skiing the same signal means "Get me outta here !"

Not that I read the story, I do recall it. No idea from where. The Brooks Range is huge. Anyone (Chugach?) know exactly where he was? It is most certainly not a place I'd like to be left behind.

Chugach001 said:
Warning - years ago a guy starved to death in the Brooks Range.

This story was documented at the time, but you may remember it from the book Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins. It's an excellent book and an enjoyable read.

Jenkins retells the story of the guy who gave the "all okay" signal instead of the "please rescue me, I forgot to schedule air transportation out of here" signal and regrettably died as a result.

dr_wu002 said:
I'm sure if you threw a rock or a snowball at the chopper they'd get the hint and buzz off. ;)

Also, what you're doing in your avatar: that would have made them go away or at least ignore you as well.

-Dr. Wu

Awesome! I want to hear some one say in court that "Dr. Wu002 told me to do it..." You are hilarious dude!