Restoring Repellency To Gore-Tex

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
I’ve had my Gore-Tex rain gear for approximately fifteen years. After four or five years the water repellency characteristics were gone and I contacted W. L. Gore & Associates for information on restoration techniques. I was provided with very specific washing and treatment instructions. I followed these instructions and the set regained like new water repellency. This rejuvenation process had become a normal maintenance project done every two to three years.

The treatment product they recommended is difficult to find. Earlier this year (June) I found it necessary to once again service my raingear. Quite a few new DWR products have been introduced in recent years and I decided to give one a try. NIKWAX TX.DIRECT spray-on was the treatment I used. I closely followed the package directions. Very soon after the re-treatment process I was hiking in bad weather and needed to use the raingear. It seemed to work well.

This past Sunday I was hiking and the weather forced me to resort to the raingear. The repellency was nearly gone. Now, I need to once again go through the process after only three months.

For reasons that should be obvious, I am interested in using a different DWR product this time around.

Any first-hand experience on products to use or avoid would be greatly appreciated.

I have had good results w/ Revivex. It is a spray on liquid. One bottle did both my jacket and pants, 1 and a half years ago and it still seems to be holding up. I bought it from Campmor for around 12 dollars. Happy trails.

Ive used both revivex and nik wax. Have had pretty good luck with both, but agree with the other post that Revivex seemed to work better...I actually just did a pair of trail runners with revivex and it seemd to make them at least slightly more water resistant to avoid INSTANT soaking..

M

If your jacket is 15 years old, there are probably several rips and tears in the G-T membrane, meaning that water will get through eventually. Even it the outer DWR is restored, don't expect the same performance from the jacket as when it was new.

Gore makes their own DWR product Revive-X that has worked fairly well for me in the past.

Here's a link from Outdoor's Gear Guy that is generally good advice, but I think he's giving up on the jacket too soon.

-dave-

Thanks, I'll look into the Rervivex product.

Dave..... Actually, the set is in remarkably good condition with only a single small nick in the pants (1/2 inch long), the jacket is still flawless. Too bad I don't take care of myself as well as my gear. Someone is getting some really good stuff when I'm gone. But, I digress. :)

Earl

Even if the outside looks good, I suspect there are rips and tears in the G-T membrane which is sandwiched inside for protection. G-T is fairly fragile, and 15 years of use will have caused some degredation, no matter how careful. Even UV rays will have caused some damage.

It's not to say that the jacket and pants aren't still worth using, but I don't think they'll live up to their original performance.

-dave-

Dave, Thank you. I was not aware of the degree to which the gore-tex membrane was fragile.

When the water repellency is good on the outside layer there seems to be no overall performance problem. But, with this new understanding I'll watch a little closer to be certain.

My set is an older Gore-Tex product. A number of new generations have been introduced that are much lighter with the same or better protection. Perhaps I'll have a good excuse to upgrade to a current version.

Thanks again.

Earl

Ditto on the Revivex, it seems to work alot better for me.

I have had really bad results with the spray on stuff in the aerosol can.

David Metsky said:
Even if the outside looks good, I suspect there are rips and tears in the G-T membrane which is sandwiched inside for protection. G-T is fairly fragile, and 15 years of use will have caused some degredation, no matter how careful. Even UV rays will have caused some damage.
If you see any delamination (a wavy, bubbly appearance on the surface) then the GT membrane is almost certainly damaged.

The GT membrane provides the basic water-proof breathable characteristic. However, if the outer fabric becomes soaked, then inside moisture cannot get out (ie the breathability is lost, but it is still waterproof). The DWR coating prevents the outer fabric from becoming soaked. (The DWR itself provides a limited amount of water proofness--but unlike the GT membrane, it will soak through in a heavy rain.)

One way to test is to put the rain gear on and stand in the shower to see if it leaks. (No perspiration from the inside to confuse matters.) If it looks like a seam, seal and try again. Otherwise, the GT membrane is almost certainly damaged.

Doug