RI Hiking Article

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Not looking to start a debate on hunting vs. hiking, I just thought I'd post this since it has to do with hiking and not much hiking news ever comes out of RI.

Since RI is not a hiking state and we don't get much traffic on our hiking trails, I have to say that our trails (though uneventful) are in good shape. The problem is since this is the smallest state and not the least populated that hikers, hunters and ATVers tend to bump into each other and this can lead to problems.

Any thoughts?

http://www.projo.com/news/content/Johnston_hunting_08-13-10_NQJHJ6C_v18.238133c.html

Thanks for sharing. Speaking as a former Rhode Islander, and as a non-hunter frankly uncomfortable with killing-as-sport, I still think that perhaps the R.I. neighbors and hikers are over-reacting. As was mentioned in the article, bow hunters have a very good safety record overall. In New Hampshire, where I live now, I hike throughout the year, including during all of the various hunting seasons. In season I wear blaze orange and make sure my dogs are also wearing it. I have never had a problem with hunters.

Also - this time speaking as a forester - I have seen what can happen to a forest ecosystem when the deer population is allowed to get out of control. I once did research work for the Forest Service in NW Pennsylvania, where tree regeneration was virtually nil due to heavy winter deer browsing. Like it or not, human beings have always been an important part of keeping the population in balance.

There are several issues here:
* Adequate public notice - announcing the hunt only at a hunter's meeting and apparently not informing the public
* Funding - do hunting licenses really pay for state parks
* Safety - bow hunting is very safe for the public, but they may not like meeting hunters or seeing dead animals
* Forestry - too many deer do affect the type of forest as well as the size of the deer

Many of the same issues exist in NH. SE NH has the most deer in the state but they are small due to crowding so hunters don't want to hunt them even if they could find non-posted land to do so. It's even worse on Long Island in Lake Winnipesaukee, where even controlled hunts are opposed by residents who feed deer.

More deer = more large predators
More large predators = more conflict with humans
More conflict with humans = more outcry to do something about it
More outcry to do something about it = ... let's get back to the deer

I love seeing deer on a hike, as elusive as they are. I also enjoy the very rare instance that I see a large predator. I do appreciate that both need to be kept within control for overpopulation with either, as with humans, causes problems with the envrionment and with dangerous conflicts with ... pets and children for example.

A hunt to control populations of each ... maybe sometimes humans! :eek: (just kidding you know) ... is quite reasonable. In populated areas bow hunting is often a solution because of the methodology and range of the weapon.

I don't hunt but don't have a problem with hunters. I do believe the public should be aware of hunting seasons and locations. That is a repsonsibility of many including the Fish and Game government organizations, hunters' groups and of the public to seek such information.

I don't quarrel with vegans, vegetarians or pigeons, either, but I do submit that wild game, dressed and prepared properly, is superior to anything raised in captivity ... superior in taste, protein, nourishment and lower in fat. That's why I have no problem with hunters ... in fact I envy their venison and look forward to the occasions when I can partake.

As for Rhode Island. It has many lovely trails, no elevation gain, and as rustic and beautiful forest as you would want to see anywhere.

Sharing the wealth

My neighbor, who hunts on our land, got a 200 pound (!) doe last year. He shared some of the venison and wicked good homemade deer sausage. Such munificence goes a long way towards making us non-hunters think, "Yummy, free range, organic protein source!" rather than "Waaah, don't kill Bambi!" And it also serves as an inscentive to keep private land un-posted.

Maybe the R.I. hunters could hold a deer barbecue for people in the local area and change a few minds?