Running With the Devil - May 20, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great trip report Artex. It was a great hike with great company. My goal was simply to finish the entire length (something that hot weather prevented me from doing last year) of the trail which would be my longest dayhike to date mileage wise. I look forward to hiking the trail again next year.

super trip report Jamie. Great hike with great company and even greater steaks. :) Gerry, our affable Devil's Tombstone caretaker is STILL my hero. ;)

one gear note: my Merrell Overdrive trailrunners were great as I had absolutely no foot discomfort the entire hike, but the rocks really did a number on the heels.

Sounds like quite a trip. I was in the area doing some trail work and saw your tents at Devil's Tombstone. I thought about stopping over to introduce myself, but it was only about 4:30 when I passed by, so I figured you guys probably weren't back to camp yet.

The "speedbump" is known as St. Annes Peak, which I like, or West West Kill, which is silly and redundant. It seems like DP daytrippers tend to come up w/ more colorful names for that little hill. Did you guys see a group of backpackers anywhere? ERD may have been leading a group on the DP this weekend.

Matt

mcorsar said:
Did you guys see a group of backpackers anywhere? ERD may have been leading a group on the DP this weekend.

Matt

We passed a group of backpackers (3 or 4 now I can't remember) about a mile into the hike. Other than that I didn't see anyone else carrying a full pack on the trail.

What? No Devil Horns? :)

Nice report, are there actual hiking pictures or just the shots at the end. I realize that you guys were running a bunch of the trail and probably didnt bother getting the camera out...

Was there just one caretaker at the Tombstone?

We had two, imagine having twice the fun!

Jay

Nah, no cameras during the hike. I had my camera in the car at the endpoint, so was able to get the finishing pics. Didn't want the extra weight by carrying it though.

MCorsar - did see a group of around half a dozen or so hikers just up from Diamond Notch. Not sure if they were heading up Hunter or back down. That was the only "group" I saw, all the other hikers were in groups of two or three.

Great job you guys! That was a BIG improvement from last year...if I remember correctly. Congrats for exceeding your time goal Jamie! Running marathons has surely helped that.

I remember last year being brutally hot and humid, which is such a challenge in itself.

I was hoping to do at least half of this hike, but was dog-sitting. Maybe next year.....

lumberzac said:
We passed a group of backpackers (3 or 4 now I can't remember) about a mile into the hike. Other than that I didn't see anyone else carrying a full pack on the trail.

I was there with a friend on Saturday morning. Hiked the DP to Indian Head and Twin then back to the JD and out. We saw a group of 4 backpackers, 2 guys and 2 girls, coming south (east?). A lot of people on the trail that day. We had a group of about 8 or so ahead of us and a group of 14 passed us at the first overlook on Indian Head. There was also another group of 4 (3 women and a man) and a group from a New Jersey college. Nice day -- no rain and the wind sounded very cool on top of Twin. Reminded me of surf crashing on the shore.

Kevin

awesome trip report Artex! It was a great hike and a great day for hiking. the weather was perfect! I'm still a little sore, but I think I am ready for my planned 90 mile AT section hike this coming weekend.

great trip report and excellent job on the hike/run!

:cool:

That's a badass run.

You should have saved it for June 6th (6/6/06)

Congrats Tom! That's such a great trail, isn't it? Very rugid and scenic. The Catskills are such a great area and I think they tend to get overlooked a lot in favor of the Dacks and Whites. I really love going back there when I can.

Just for clarification, I did the run last May.. Tom just revived the thread. :D

Artex said:
Congrats Tom! That's such a great trail, isn't it? Very rugid and scenic. The Catskills are such a great area and I think they tend to get overlooked a lot in favor of the Dacks and Whites. I really love going back there when I can.

Just for clarification, I did the run last May.. Tom just revived the thread. :D
Yeah, sorry! :eek: While I was thinking about finishing Sunday I remembered this thread.

And yes, the Catskills are great! :D

Just so you know, the latest Catskill Canister has a very short write up about your epic journey. They only mention that the winner (unnamed) finished in 8:12, and that 6 others participated, including Blaine.

oh wow, that's really cool!

I was so happy finishing the Devils Path Dayhike that day. It took me three times to do it.

How's it going Tom?

Crazypace and I still need to go up and get Double Top after that crazy time we had getting caught in the stinging nettle and trying to find our way back from Graham in the fog.

It was cool meeting you at the fire tower that day!