Saddleback winter trail access?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hey,

I have seen a couple of mentions lately about the hiking route via Saddleback (ME) ski trails being closed for construction, yes?

Does anyone if this route up Saddleback is likely to be open to hikers this winter or in the future generally?

Of course I agree that the AT route is very nice, but I consider the ski trail route to Saddleback/Horn to be a good option in winter with a small group of mere mortals on unbrokern trail.

Hey, Al!

Check out www.saddlebackmaine.com

I know the ski area was sold last year and they are doing renovations. The web site describes the construction, but maybe you can email them to find out the schedule. I would think they wouldn't allow winter hiking up the ski trails, what with all those skiers wizzing by at 100 mph, but you never know. I haven't done this hike in the winter, so I am not sure what they have allowed in the past.

Good luck!

Laura

Hiking with skiers

Hey Laura,

100 mph, now that's fast!

Really, hiking with the alpine skiers it's too much trouble. I have hiked ski trails up Wildcat without any difficulty. I believe that ski trails are commonly used in winter climbs of Sugarloaf and I think Saddleback in years past. I think hikers are not welcome at Cannon, and I'm not sure about Killington, Ellen, and Lincoln, but on those the traditional hiking routes are short enough. Other good places to dodge downhillers at least briefly are Pico, Waterville Valley, Mansfield (LT), Stratton, and I'm sure there must be more.

Laura, are you saying you are prepared to help break trail up the AT route to Saddleback & Horn this winter?

Tramper,
I eMailed Saddleback last year and was told that climbing on skis was not a problem for small groups and I should direct my inquiry to the head of the ski patrol for further information of the preferred route. (I looked for the eMail, but can't find the response).

BTW, I'm in if you'll have me.

Tramper:

Oh yeah, I'm in! Even if you do it the wimpy way (ski trails). I don't have climbing skins, tho, so you have to give me time to get them. Hey, if we hiked it via the AT, it would be shorter than Bigelows!

Keep me posted on your plans.

Laura

Last winter (under the current management) we did Saddleback by the ski trails. An extremely hiker-friendly area! We arrived early, but there was someone who showed us which trails to use. We were greeted in a very friendly way by the various ski patrollers we met. All in all a most pleasant experience.

And since I was unable to get to the Horn, am eager to attempt it again!

Hi guys, I'll join you too, if you'll have me

I've hiked up Ellen, but they wouldn't let me take my skis with me. They thought I was cheating them out of a lift ticket apparently. I waited a bit, and tried again and got caught again.

So, I trudged up and slid down on my butt in about 3 minutes after hours.

spencer said:
I've hiked up Ellen, but they wouldn't let me take my skis with me. They thought I was cheating them out of a lift ticket apparently.
Hrmm, that's interesting. I know several people have skied the ridge between MRG and Mt Ellen, then came down the ski slopes. They must just not want you climbing the ski slopes themselves.

MRG is much more friendly to upclimbers.

-dave-

Dave,

I was headed up and down via Sugarbush and I meant Abraham, not Ellen anyway, although I figure the same would go for Ellen at Sugar North. So I'm utterly confused and my words were of no help to anyone. I've heard from lots that MRG is happy to have uphillers, althought I've been very remiss in never skiing the glen myself.

and congratulations to Tramper on his avatar!

every time a trip gets organized for winter in Maine, I think, "Wouldn't it be fun to host some of you folks at my place." Then I remember that I don't live anywhere near Saddleback. Well, maybe when we get around to some of the county points...

spencer

Last edited: