Santanonis - Group Trip - 2/24/6 Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Trails

Hey Tom, 8 of us are going in Feb. 18 and 19. The tracks "should" be real good if your doing these as a day trip. I'll post the conditions. If Jean joins your trip tell him Reekee says hello as we did this same trip together in 04.

Reekee said:
Hey Tom, 8 of us are going in Feb. 18 and 19. The tracks "should" be real good if your doing these as a day trip. I'll post the conditions. If Jean joins your trip tell him Reekee says hello as we did this same trip together in 04.

Tres bien! Merci beaucoup!

I have a question...

Its inevitable that within the first 30 minutes of hiking, we will have broken into several smaller groups and will remain that way until we regroup at the end of the day in the parking lot. If that is the case, do we really need to limit the larger group to 15?

Just poking my head into the conversation here... even if you are split into different groups (an idea I think is great for setting tracks), you will run into each other several times during the day. It's also fairly easy to re-group on TS at some point to count numbers and figure timing as you head out. Especially with radios, your communications should be excellent. I also agree that group size of 15 will break up enough on the way in. If one or two others join, the group can easily break into two (or three based on planed peak approach).

Sorry......

Hi Tom and the Gang,

It is not usual, but I just received a e-mail and it is impossible for Me to go with You.....I am very sorry. :eek:

I have only a daughter, I can not refuse... She needs Me exactely Saturday 02-25. :confused:

I am sure I loose a special evenement!

Have a great weekend.

Pinpin Junior.

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Hi Tom and the Gang,

It is not usual, but I just received a e-mail and it is impossible for Me to go with You.....I am very sorry. :eek:

You could probably do all 3 and be done by noon, right ? :D

notwithstanding the lack of snow this year, what are the prospects of skiing to Bradley Pond or even up to times square.

The constant downhill gradient on the way out would significantly cut exit time if trail conditions were adequate

Confirmation

Nat and I will be there.
I will bring my GPS but I doubt that we'll need it.

To bad Reekee won't be there to help me out of the spruce traps to Couchie this time around. :rolleyes:

The trip was fantastic. Slowly working on a trip report.
Should be ready in a week or so...I'm lazy, what can I say! :D

notwithstanding the lack of snow this year, what are the prospects of skiing to Bradley Pond or even up to times square. -Bridgeman

Easily to Bradley Pond or a bit further. Once you get into the Panther Brook trail, it's a pretty decent grade that I don't think would make ski's practical.

On the other hand, if you kept them with you, it would seem to me that skiing over to Couchy and back from Times Square would be doable!! :cool:

So what are the latest developments here ? B & B is full...anyone sleeping in the lean-tos friday and/or saturday ? At what time are you guys planning to start ?
Thanks

Motabobo said:
So what are the latest developments here ? B & B is full...anyone sleeping in the lean-tos friday and/or saturday ? At what time are you guys planning to start ? Thanks

Yes, the B&B is still full. If you want to park at the B&B, and carpool, so as to minimize trailhead parking congestion, you can. Show up by 5:30 AM!

We are planning to start the hike at 6:00 AM. Not everyone is going to stay together. Some will go to Couch first, others to Santanoni, etc. I do not know about anyone camping at leantos, but I have heard some plan to car camp at the trailhead.

To those who are signed up for the B&B, I will contact you offline with details about the B&B, but here are directions:

Take Exit 29 off of I-87 and go West on County Rt. 2 (aka Boreas Road). After about 24 miles, this road ends at 28-N. Turn right. Proceed into and almost thru the village of Newcomb. Aunt Polly's is on the left. There is also a sign that says 'High Peaks Stables'. The phone # is 518-582-2260 and the address is 5789 Rt. 28N, Newcomb, NY.

Camping for Santa Trip

We have 3 going in Friday during the day to camp overnight either at the Lean-Too or around the otherside of Bradley Pond before you start up Panther Brook. We plan on going for all three if the weather holds and we don't take to many unintended side trips.

We will have a GPS (just in case), FRS Radios and a Satellite Phone (I sell these so I carry my Demo on questionable trips).

Question is - what channel will everyone be using on there radios?

We may stay Saturday night also but would like to hike out at the end of the day. We will decide as the day progresses.

We didn't get out last weekend so we are ready and willing. Had to stay home and man the generator all weekend due to the wind storm. Hope to meet some of you on the trail. We will start early Saturday but the fast hikers will probably catch up with us (I tend to take it slow). :)

I'll have radios that are always on channel 5. Ward and I will take one radio, and I can pass one along to someone else at the B&B or the trailhead. Can't wait to get out on the trail! Lance

slamdog said:
I'll have radios that are always on channel 5. Ward and I will take one radio, and I can pass one along to someone else at the B&B or the trailhead. Can't wait to get out on the trail! Lance

Ok, I'll do the same. Mine have a large number and a small number, so I'll try 5.0. Hopefully we'll get a chance to test them out before we start!

Channel Number

We will use channel 5 with no Privacy Code (small number). The small number blocks out other users on the same channel.

Another no-show

Well, it was a nice dream, but only one of my trials for Monday has settled, so instead of having fun in the woods and hills I'll be sitting at my computer typing motions and cross exam questions.

Have fun everybody.

I like the use of Channel 5, no privacy (PL tone) codes. Somebody should declare this a "Protocol" for the High Peaks Region. If the frequency ever gets crowded for some reason you can always move to another.

Grub

Laurie is cooking a big pot of pasta for Friday night. It won't feed everyone, but if you hadn't made plans yet, we might have some left over for you.