Saturdays Weather?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardyb

Reaction score
My plan was to head to the Whites tomorrow and do Adams, but I am wondering about the weather. The Higher Summits forecast doesn't look that bad, actually the summits are suppose to have some sun. The question is when is the rain coming in, every forecast I look at is different. Does anyone have good opinion on the forecast? Also, how are the trail conditions on Valley Way or Air Line?

Last edited:
hardyb said:
The question is when is the rain coming in, every forecast I look at is different. Does anyone have good opinion on the forecast?
Not only are they different, but the NWS forecast seems to change every time it gets updated. Right now the Gorham forecast calls for a 20% chance of rain after 4 PM; to me these are very decent odds (but no warranty!!!!).

I am trying to climb in huntington tommorow - so I have been watching this closely. I think there is going to be a nice window tommrow from the am until mid - late afternoon and then another rain/snow event is going to hit. My plan start early and be done by 4pm and off the mountain before this happens.

I bet trails will be sheets of ice tommorow.

I have been closely watching the forecasts, too, hoping to bag Carrigain as #48. The inconsistencies between Wunderground.com and Weather.com have been amazing :confused: . Think it will be a game time decision..

My advice is : never trust weather forecasts at 100%. They are even less accurate on mountains. Ever heard of cloudy/rainy days undercasts ? Everytime it rains I climb anyway in case I see one...but I never did in the northeast :(

It's raining hard in Franconia right now. If the temps drop after this front goes through, the Ice Age will be back tomorrow. Check back later today and I'll post weather cdx. It may be different, of course, in the Prezzies.

sun?

LIke yourself, Im hiking Sat. I use the OBS site exclusively and the "higher Summits Forecast" is looking very promising for sat. There are fronts in front of Sat and close on sat heels as well, my advice from what Ive seen so far, start early and end early, there seems to be a window of oppurtunity for sure. I trust the OBS site and they always seem to be very close in there forecasting for the mountains.
Disclaimer, this is New England, anyforecast is worth the paper its printed on, keep your eye in the sky at all times and remember " a quick descent with bad weather coming in = beer and pizza in town, being slow and pushing your luck= frozen pack food and a krumholz tent. :eek:

weatherman said:
I agree that starting early and ending early is a great idea. Likely will not be very cold, so things that get mushy today may well stay mushy tomorrow. Sunday is another matter-colder.

I was planning to leave the snow shoes at home, do you think the trails will be firm enough for for just crampons?

I assume you mean Saturday...well, I haven't been up in a bit, but any snow below about 5000 feet will probably be mushy Saturday, so if it's deep enough where you're going, bring snowshoes. The Obs is still reporting temps around freezing, but my guess is they won't go below freezing till Saturday night at the earliest. Of course, there was a lot of ice before the snow covered it earlier in the week, so it may get exposed, necessitating crampons, but the ice won't be hard. My style is always to bring both, unless I have a very good reason not to. Think of it as extra exercise. :)

It's still raining hard at 1200' in Franconia. River crossings will be a problem, and I can't tell you how many pond and lake rescues there have been lately due to thin ice. Sadly, NH Fish & Game got a chance to use its new "Flying Eye" underwater recovery gizmo. Local fire squads and SAR are out there practicing various types of water rescue.

From MWO

Higher Summits Outlook

A weak ridge of high pressure will wedge between two storms today, giving the summits a break in the clear. Winds will quickly die off this morning, while high clouds build in overhead, but summits should stay in the clear until late in the day. Tonight, a storm approaches from the west, spreading snow on the summits. Tomorrow, temperatures will turn sharply colder as winds shift behind this storm.

Outlook updated at 4:54 AM on Saturday

Today: Summits in the clouds early, then quickly clearing during the morning. Mainly in the clear today with increasing high clouds overhead.
Highs: Lower 30s °F
Wind: West 30 to 50 very early, then S at 10 to 20 mph through the day

Tonight: Summits becoming in the clouds with snow likely beginning this evening.
Lows: Mid 20s °F
Wind: Increasing to 40 to 60 mph from the SE

Tomorrow: Summits mainly in the clouds with snow likely, especially in the morning
Highs: Around 30 early, then falling into the teens °F
Wind: SE turning SW at 20 to 40 mph with higher gusts late

~w7x

Last edited: