Saving Digital Photo files for long-term

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Really been pondering whether to go to an online service as one person mentioned. Has anyone done a comparison of the best in terms of company stability, security, cost, capacity and ease of use?"

Alan-
Check out these two online back-up services: Mozy and Carbonite. They both are meant to work in the background - automatically sensing new files and backing up when needed, or, you can set to back up regularly according to the schedule you create. Mozy's yearly fee per computer is $54.00 for unlimited storage. Carbonite charges are comparable. I've tried both on my Mac and would recommend either. There are, of course, PC versions as well. I've never had to recover files and can only assume that I could retrieve any lost files successfully.

I have had TWO credit cards used illegally in the past year, presumably from the however-many-million numbers stolen in the TJX hacker theft. Keep that in mind when you select what you are backing up to an online site. I would not trust them with my tax returns and other things of that sort.

I keep two HD backups of everything - one at home, and one in my office. The one at home is backed up daily and once a month or so I bring home the other drive, archive everything, and bring it back to work.

Tim

Mediacenter + flickr

I use HP Media Center Raid Array. I currently have 4 drives totalling 2Terrabytes. If a drive goes bad it is hot swappable. Half a terrabyte is currently filled with photos. I also do a secondary backup of my jpg formats to flickr which is unlimited for under 30 dollars per year.