Sawyer River Road open?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAmeche

Reaction score
Has anyone been by Sawyer River Road in the past day or two? I know the WMNF site listed it as closed as of 5/2, but I have a friend coming in from out of town, and I'd love to hike Carrigain tomorrow.

Thanks!

Ride bicycles to the trailhead, then you coast back out. You'll probably have the mountain to yourselves.

NOw now now.... there's all ready a thread started about Bicycle riding. If the road is closed... riding your bike to the trailhead is ILLEGAL! (according to FTFC rules) :eek: But of course... if its just a fun hike with a friend... ride away.

Just checked on Wednesday after I walked out of the woods from a nearby trek, and it was still closed. If you find it open please reply to this string, I want to hike Vose Spur but would rather avoid the road trek.

Sherpa John said:
NOw now now.... there's all ready a thread started about Bicycle riding. If the road is closed... riding your bike to the trailhead is ILLEGAL! (according to FTFC rules) :eek: But of course... if its just a fun hike with a friend... ride away.

Huh? JUST for fun?!!! If adhering to FTFC rules excludes fun... :rolleyes:

cantdog said:
Isn't that rule only applicable in the winter?
There's some debate about whether biking the gated access roads is an issue with the FTFC rules. Based on discussions and various interpretations, I'd fall on the side of not allowing you to bike the road if you can't legally drive it on the day of the hike, but that's only my opinion.

-dave-

If it's not open now it will be very soon. I hiked Carrigan mid May of last year road was open. Was a funny trip, on our way down we met a group of college "kids" in nylon soccer shorts, sneakers and NO SOCKS...needless to day they were very surprised (at not too happy) to find two feet of snow on the trail with major postholing. I’ve never felt so proud to don the ol' gaiters....that was also the day found the note at the trail head of a hiker telling his buddies he had to take the state police to the human skull he had found the day before while bushwhacking.

So many 4k memories :D