Scanning old slides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
My recent trip to Katahdin got me reminiscing. I first visited Baxter in 1963, then again in June of 1966, staying at Chimney Pond both times.

I was searching around today and just found a set of about 20 Ektachrome slides, not seen in over 40 years, from the 1966 Katahdin trip. Viewing with a little hand viewer would seem to indicate these are still in good condition.

A while back I was looking for some kind of scanner to digitize old slides and photos and came up with these:

Canon CanoScan 8800F Flat Bed scanner (174.95 @ B&H)
Canon CanoScan 4400F Flat Bed scanner (89.95 @ B&H)

The difference between the two models seems to be just in the number of slides you can scan at once, plus the bigger one uses white Leds vs. a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp in the smaller one. Since there will be a lot of manual work taking slides out of old slide trays anyway, I don't think I need the more expensive model. Can anyone tell me why I really need the bigger one?

Does anyone have any experience with the process, with these models or with something else similar.

Thanks

Last edited:
Flat bed scanners, even with special slide adapters, simply won't do a very good job with slides. A dedicated slide/negative scanner will do a much better job and be easier to use. For 20 slides, I'd go to a photo shop and have them scan the slides, then just buy a flatbed scanner for photos.

David Metsky said:
Flat bed scanners, even with special slide adapters, simply won't do a very good job with slides. A dedicated slide/negative scanner will do a much better job and be easier to use. For 20 slides, I'd go to a photo shop and have them scan the slides, then just buy a flatbed scanner for photos.
Thanks David, but the issue is this: there are 20 slides from Katahdin 1966. There are 20 gazillion slides altogether sitting in the closet.

Should I but both? (yes also many many photos)?

PB -

I understand that pretty much anything but a high end dedicated slide scanner will work. But to make the finished product resemble a photo taken with a good digital camera, you need to spend $$$.

For a while 2 friends and I thought about chipping in for a really good slide scanning unit, taking turns with it and then selling it on Ebay when we were done. Didn't happen as one of them an engineer, got downsized when his compang got sold and we kind of forgot about the idea.
I'm in the same boat as you are. 12k to 15k or more of hiking and mountain slides from 30+ years, all sorted, catalogued, and in metal slide boxes. Most flat bed or inexpensive scanned slides look faded and not the kind of output I'm looking for.

I have a bunch, too, but not nearly that many...

I used to sell slide scanners - the best were made by Nikon. I know a guy in Texas who used to sell used ones, so I'll see if he has any around. Might be worth it...

Scott

Last edited: