Seeking advice on new pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheldon

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new backpack, most of my hiking is 3-season in the White's, I typically carry around 22-25lbs for a 3-day hike (assuming a partner to share the load). I'm considering the Gregory z-pack and the Granite Gear nimbus ozone, any feedback on these 2 or any other suggestions? I don't think I want a sil-nylon pack, or a pack without some type of frame, I'm looking at around 3500 cu. in. Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback, thanks...

I'm looking for something similar - does anyone have experience with the Osprey Aether 60 or Atmos 50?

Although the Golite frameless packs work for me, I also have the Ozone for fall or winter if carrrying excess of 30lbs. It is easy to carry snowshoes and I can carry crampons in a side bag that can be attached through the cinch straps on the side. Therefore, the pack is not just the three season pack you seek. My model does not have an internal pocket for a water bladder, but later models do. (added in 2003 or 2004). No outside pockets except for the nylon mesh ones along the side, but outside compression straps make add-ons easy. I like the adjustment set up for each shoulder strap, and there are several options for sizes of wait belts and shoulder straps, too. The pack is rugged and comfortable. The bag, like frameless packs, is just one big sack. Over the top it has two closure straps, none coming from the sides as well as the one going from front to back. So, the top closes up tightly. I pack gear in silnylon sacks, so I do not bother with a rain cover, but Granite gear makes those, too, to fit their packs. Their catalog has a picture of a car driving over their pack frame to demonstrate its toughness.
I'd recommend this pack, but I do not intend to drive over it. One hiker did note that the lower compression strap passes over the lower pocket which effected the straps function as a compression strap. For me that would not be a reason not to use this pack, however.
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=249133634

I just purchased a Granit Gear Vapor Trail. The pack utilizes a frame sheet which still has load lifters. At 3600 cu in and weight of 2 lbs, it carries 25 lbs very confortably. I first used it a few weeks ago for ten days down in Va. Very pleased with its performance.

Don't know if you went and got a pack yet, but I was in a similar situation and I got an Osprey Atmos 50. I tried on a few packs, including the Z-pack and Dana Design Mazama. Neither of them even remotely compared to the Atmos. I've worn all of them with ~30lbs. the other packs felt like i was carrying considerably more than 30lbs.

I typically carry around 22-25lbs for a 3-day hike (assuming a partner to share the load). I'm considering the Gregory z-pack and the Granite Gear nimbus ozone, any feedback on these 2 or any other suggestions? I don't think I want a sil-nylon pack, or a pack without some type of frame, I'm looking at around 3500 cu. in

If yer load is really that light (assuming you included food & H20, etc.) then ought to consider dropping just a few more pounds then going with a frameless pack (or a sleeping pad as frame pack). You don't really need a framesheet/hipbelt load transfer until you get up to 20+ lbs., provided you pack it correctly.

But if you are wanting a frame pack, then you are looking at the right packs. Might wanna throw Osprey Aether 60 in that group. Kelty has also jumped into the lightweight (3 lbs. give or take) internal frame pack game with some new models (the "Whisper" & "Illusion").

If you can find a model with hipbelt pockets, that's a big plus.

Most important thing to remember tho is you need to go and take your gear to the shop and fill up and thry these packs on, cause it's all about comfort/fit and everyone is built differently. Six ounces here or there is nothing compared to the ride and feel of the pack. ;)

Last edited:
Doodles said:
I just purchased a Granit Gear Vapor Trail. The pack utilizes a frame sheet which still has load lifters. At 3600 cu in and weight of 2 lbs, it carries 25 lbs very confortably. I first used it a few weeks ago for ten days down in Va. Very pleased with its performance.

I just bought the same pack yesterday. I can't wait to use it in the field. In the store I overloaded it (considerably) and it still felt great.

Dick