Seriously, would anyone who actually hikes or camps buy this?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the size, I would guess the target market is for lift service skiing. There are lots of areas out west that are lift access but also involve climbing higher onto ridges or along bowls, etc. Backcountry skiers should be similarly equiped as a hiker, and the risk might be higher, since you can hit a tree.

Last year I bought a winter hydration pack from BCA. I found it worked very well, and didn't freeze in very cold temperatures, at least for the time I was out. I found that I drank a lot more that way, than I would have it I had to stop and pull off my pack, etc, to drink.

So I don't see this as a crazy idea or a marketing gimmick, but just a different target market then hikers here.

They advertise that it works "up to 20 hours at 15°F". Most people out backcountry or lift-served skiing aren't out for 20 hours. Furthermore, my little water bottle parka keeps things from freezing if it's only 15 degrees out, or even just wrapping my water bottle/bladder in a light fleece jacket. I'm not sure what/who they are trying to market to. If it's to day-trippers, skiers, bikers, what good is 20 hours worth? and if it's to "serious backcountry adventurers" (as they purport), wouldn't it need to work at colder temps than 15 degrees?
They say it comes with a probe pocket, goggle pocket, and a whistle. Good thing I don't have to worry about my water freezing up while performing an avy rescue... :rolleyes:

(And for $150???)

As if EMS doesn't get enough return products thru our Post Office this one is going to add a second trip for Jimmie.

timmus said:
...With 730 cu. in. of cargo space and 100 fl. oz. hydration capacity, we're talking serious backcountry adventure.

QUOTE]
100 fluid ouces??!!!

That's not gonna put much of a dent in filling up my backpackers jacuzzi!!! :D

Maybe I'm conservative,bit I thought it was over the top when Nalgene bottle came in different colors!

I'm not an experienced backcountry skier, but do know some folks who are. They all carry a lot of gear-shovel, beacon, extra clothes, probe, skins, survival gear, food, spare parts, etc. Way more than would fit into this tiny pack. They basically carry enough to survive overnight or even for a couple of days if need be.

Sure skiing with all that isn't as much fun, but they all do it because it's the prudent thing to do.

I have an OR cozy that works great and a thermos that will keep liquids hot all day long. Way cheaper than this pack. I'd rather spend the money on survival gear like the BD avalung pack-much more useful for the backcountry. About the same price.

Wow - I didn't realize that VFTT was so hydration-bladder intolerant. I made the switch to hydration bladders when I hiked the AT, and I haven't looked back since. I carry a nalgene only when it gets well below freezing, as I find it extremly annoying to have to stop everytime I want a sip of water.

I have gone as far to put my hydration pack UNDER my coat to keep the hose from freezing. I have a pack similar to this without the heater - it is insulated, the hose runs along the shoulder strap (to keep it warm) and the exposed part of the hose is insulated. I love it - I am able to hike or mtn bike in temps around 20 degrees without a problem.

So, while the little mini-heater is somewhat of a gimick, and I certainly wouldn't pay $150 for it, I wouldn't mind someone putting it under the tree for me either. Yea, its a little small, and probably not a good solution for hiking in the whites in the winter, but it would be perfect for a day of hiking in Pawtuckaway or mountain biking at FOMBA.

chomp said:
So, while the little mini-heater is somewhat of a gimick, and I certainly wouldn't pay $150 for it, I wouldn't mind someone putting it under the tree for me either. Yea, its a little small, and probably not a good solution for hiking in the whites in the winter, but it would be perfect for a day of hiking in Pawtuckaway or mountain biking at FOMBA.

I totally agree. I'm a big fan of using a bladder because it means I can carry more water and don't have to worry about taking it out of a pouch, unscrewing a cap and downing it, then putting it all back. I'm pretty good at not stopping and drinking with a bottle, but a bladder is much smarter.

I was thinking if you're skiing at Great Glen, Windblown or Wolfeboro it would be a nifty idea. Especially something like Wolfeboro where the trails are a bit away from any sort of quick water access. It is a bit over the top, but then again, so is a GPS compared to a compass (not trying to start a bebate here....).

I love using my camelback hydration bladder when ever possible. I have used the bladder with an insulated hose with temps down well into the low 20's without too much of a problem. If I get a little freeze I will just stick the hose inside of my jacket for a few minutes.
However, when I expect the temperature to be well below freezing and/or high winds, I will skip the hydration bladder and just carry a couple of insulated nalgene bottles. I will keep one of the nalgene bottles in the insulator strapped to the waist belt of my pack so that it is easily reached. When I do use a hydration bladder in the winter I will carry an empty nalgene bottle in my pack "just in case".

true story,
Cannon cliff, climb was vandetta, as I was frictioning up a delecate slab, I felt water, I looked up, sunny, hummm? then I realized the hose to my bladder (in fanny pack) had somehow gotten pinched and the contents where now soaking my rock shoes and the slab exactly where I needed to place my feet :eek: I dont think the old man appriciated my language at the time. Im now bladder free over 8 yrs. ;)

I agree that this item serves no use for winter hiking, but if I was an all day resort skier it does not seem like a terrible idea.

I will admit though that if somone figured out a way for hydration bladders to work in the winter, I would be all over it...

Me and My Bladder

I just love that water sack. Honestly, I can't stand water bottles anymore. I usually carry one backpacking for an emergency. I did puncture my bladder once and boy was that a bummer. I find that I am much more hydrated and I drink much more carrying a hydration unit.

As for heated...In the winter, I just pour in hot water before I head out.

Hmmm, and as a side note, and since I have been working outside for the past few winters, maybe that TNF thingie might keep my coffee warm.